The Great SD Card Mystery

madisonofriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a 16GB sandisk micro sd card, which I use for pretty much all my photos. I have never been able to fill it up, holds around 1700+ photos.
Well one day I was getting ready for a shoot when I glanced at my "number of photos available" on my camera LED and it says 200 something,(Man, I don't remember taking that many photos...) OK OK I guess I just forgot to delete the extra photos right? When I looked at the contents, It had maybe 30 photos on the SD card (hmmm) I deleted them just to be safe, and put the SD card back in my camera. Now it tells me I have 230... Whaaaat?
Then I put a 2GB card in. It tells me I have 179 on the 2GB!
Am I missing something or Is the SD card?

PS: I own a
NIKON D3000 and all are sandisk products.

Every once in a while do a full format on your computer then do a normal format in your camera, the full format checks the card for faults when the camera format does not.

John.

I would probably kill myself if I lost 1700 photos because a memory card failed.
Ignoring the wisdom of "not keeping all my eggs in 1 basket" would cause me to kill myself.

IMO you should not 'delete' photos in the camera.
ove photos from the memory card to your computer storage at the end of each shooting day.
Critical step - Verify that the upload to storage was successful.
Then reformat the memory card in your camera.

I download directly from the card each day and reformat the card in the camera everyday. No problems so far.

I would probably kill myself if I lost 1700 photos because a memory card failed.
Ignoring the wisdom of "not keeping all my eggs in 1 basket" would cause me to kill myself.

IMO you should not 'delete' photos in the camera.
ove photos from the memory card to your computer storage at the end of each shooting day.
Critical step - Verify that the upload to storage was successful.
Then reformat the memory card in your camera.
Oh no, I didn't lose 1700 photos I only had about 30... The capacity however is gone.

Every once in a while do a full format on your computer then do a normal format in your camera, the full format checks the card for faults when the camera format does not.

John.
OK so is my card done for? Or can I reformat or what?

once you have your photos off the card....

put the card in the camera -> turn on the camera -> hit the menu button -> go to the wrench (or setup menu) -> hit "Format Memory card" -> "yes" to the prompt...

should fix your problem....
your supposed to always format the card when removing pictures from the memory card

Hi.

Use the app in the link below, start the app on your pc or mac with the sdhc card inserted then change the option from quick to full (overwrite) then click OK and then click Format.

Once done if no errors are found put the card in your camera and do the cameras own format.

SD Card Formatter - SD Association

John.

I download directly from the card each day and reformat the card in the camera everyday. No problems so far.
same here. i have considered if i should try a computer reformat but haven't needed to thus far.

once you have your photos off the card....

put the card in the camera -> turn on the camera -> hit the menu button -> go to the wrench (or setup menu) -> hit "Format Memory card" -> "yes" to the prompt...

should fix your problem....
your supposed to always format the card when removing pictures from the memory card
Thank you, this solved my problem. back to 4k :)

Most reactions

Back