The HDR thread

Funky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, well for the longest time ive gone from hating hdr because it looked unrealistic to loving it because it does do what your sensor can't. ive tried to use the techniqe soooo many times but still havnt gotten a decent picture maybe im doing it all wrong. could someone explain to me how its done. im just a little confused. maybe even post some youve done.

:cheers:

zack

The problem most people have with HDR is that they don't use it in an appropriate situation. The dynamic range of the scene you are photographing has to exceed the dynamic range of your sensor (5 stops give or take). If it doesn't, you are wasting your time. Take some shots of a building that is backlit with a beautiful sky. Use anywhere from 2-20 different exposures, making sure to capture sky detail, and detail in the building.

in the beginners section there is a link to a forum devoted to HDR. They have a great tutorial section (3 parts).

Like most post processing, it is an art to get right.
They can get very unrealistic fast, almost look like pastel drawings.

Here is a page I made about my first experiences with it.
http://www.jtice.com/blogs/hdr_testing_3-20-07/

~John

Great Stuff.

I wouldn't have thought of making adjusted photos from one and then combining them. I also have some wide or panoramic scenic shots that might benefit from trying this.

Always something new to learn on this site. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back