The Heron Experience (Pt.1)

JOAT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A few days ago I mentioned that I spotted a Great Blue Heron at a place called Toogood Pond in Markham, Ont. I went back to the park to find the heron. As I walked along the path there he was in the distance perched on a tree branch. I was quite far to get any decent pics so I followed the edge of the pond and I was able to find a decent spot for pictures. He stood there perched for a good 30minutes.

Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/200
Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
Exposure Compensation +2
ISO Speed 400

tg-gbh.jpg

With a loud squak and a stretch he looked to venture off. Perhaps he was hungry and was about to go fishing :angel:

Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/400
Av(Aperture Value) 5.6
Exposure Compensation +2
ISO Speed 400

tg-gbh2.jpg

tg-gbh3.jpg

tg-gbh4.jpg

After some walking around in the pond he didn't make any attempts to catch any fish, perhaps because there were none in the area. So off he was and I thought my Heron experience was over.

Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/400
Av(Aperture Value) 5.6
Exposure Compensation +2
ISO Speed 400

tg-gbh5.jpg

These shots were in some heavy shade and I didn't have enough time to adjust exposure, hence the grain due to adjusting levels.
tg-gbh6.jpg

tg-gbh7.jpg

tg-gbh8.jpg

I packed my things and left the area to see If I could find him again. Sure enough on the other side of the pond, there he was....walking, and stalking for fish.

I was quite excited to get these pictures, although not perfect I tried my best to capture "behaviour" and not just your regular snap shot.

Stay tuned for Part 2 :angel:

Well I'm jealous.

The third one is great! I've been doing a lot of kayaking lately and there are a few of these guys in a stream about 1/2 hour from my house. I went there without my camera gear and there were 4 herons throughout the stream. It was one of those, "Why didn't I bring my camera?" moments. When I returned later that week with my gear, they were no where to be found.

Great job. The last two almost seem painted. Some people might not like that but the colors seem to pop and I think it's great!

Once again, allow me to express my frustration and jealousy!

JOAT, that is a spectacular series!!!!! You certainly did capture some interesting poses and behaviour. I look forward to part 2.

Very kind of you guys to look and comment with some positive feeedback. Persistance paid off this day as I looked for him numerous times this year and finally saw him twice within a week.

Part 2 is coming soon :)

Most reactions

Back