The Homeless Of D.C.

great work joey, it takes some grit to approach people to shoot and homeless people can be a little unpredictable until they know your motives, keep it up mate.

Nice pictures, dude! I personally think that pictures of homeless are the most interesting; much better than a pretty model in a wedding dress (I'm not criticising anyone who takes wedding shots. I'm just attracted to the nature of the homeless in art.) I went to Atlantic City and took pictures of the homeless and everyone I took I asked for their permission and even gave many a few bucks, but the pics all had that pose look to it. I've been tempted to go to DC and take shots of the homeless when they least expect it. I just think it to be more natural. But then I have to deal with that unauthorized picture taking and can't post on the Internet of them. What's everyones thoughts on this? Joey, did you ask or take some when your subject didn't know? Any issues? I'd like to get peoples thoughts before I go to DC. By the way, Joey, what lense did you use when you shot these? If I go, I'd rather take just one lense.

Nice pictures, dude! I personally think that pictures of homeless are the most interesting; much better than a pretty model in a wedding dress (I'm not criticising anyone who takes wedding shots. I'm just attracted to the nature of the homeless in art.) I went to Atlantic City and took pictures of the homeless and everyone I took I asked for their permission and even gave many a few bucks, but the pics all had that pose look to it. I've been tempted to go to DC and take shots of the homeless when they least expect it. I just think it to be more natural. But then I have to deal with that unauthorized picture taking and can't post on the Internet of them. What's everyones thoughts on this? Joey, did you ask or take some when your subject didn't know? Any issues? I'd like to get peoples thoughts before I go to DC. By the way, Joey, what lense did you use when you shot these? If I go, I'd rather take just one lense.
I hate to be so blunt, but now likely would a homeless person to find the pictures you took of them on the internet? :confused:

Sorry about that. :greenpbl:

Instead of giving a few bucks, why not go to a local fast food place and speak to the manager about reduced price gift certificates and give those away?

And I spend a few years working in downtown Atlanta and know for sure that many of the "homeless" people are not really homeless at all. They are just panhandlers who have a home to go to. Not the nicest of places, but a place at any rate.

I love the one with the man and his trolly, great shots and you have alot of guts.

I'm new but I can tell those are awesome. I would love to do the same thing.....and I'd have no problem asking either. So much can be communicated to the world through their eyes with just the snap of a photo from me. And I think that is so special.

I wish I wasn't too pansie to ask people if I could take their pictures. I always see such interesting looking people and wish I had the guts to ask...but nope :) But DC IS one of the most fun places to take pictures. Have you been by the Air Force Memorial in Arlington? I live a few miles from it and finally went last week to take pics of it :)

I hate to be so blunt, but now likely would a homeless person to find the pictures you took of them on the internet? :confused:

They deserve respect, regardless of the likelihood of them finding their own image on the internet. Further, they could be recognized by a loved one or someone they know thay does have internet access and I think we can all agree that the homeless don't always want to be located, in which case it would be invading their privacy - what little they have left, anyway.

Bottom line - if they can be recognized, it's inappropriate not to ask their permission, if not before, then afterward and then promptly delete the images for which no permission was given.

These are very moving and emotional photos - I think you've done a really nice job capturing the raw human element in these. #3 is my favorite - would like to see more if you have them!

Ask yourself this: why did you take their pictures and why do you want to photograph street people? Do a search on this lady : Moyra Peralta. When you THINK you know why you want to pursue this field, figure out if your motive is altruistic, artistic or parasitic? You don't have to justify yourself to anyone, just your own conscience. Wrt the longer lens, I have found with "street" shots Capa's saying bears out: "If your images aren't good enough, your'e not close enough". So ditch the tele zoom idea and get in close.
I'm not looking to give you a hard time or get preachy. I've photographed homeless people, they feature on my website, then I read about Moyra Peralta. That's where balkancing your urges with conscience comes in.

Cheers, Lol

just x joey- You have some very interesting shots.

Just my two cents on shooting the homeless. I also shot a bunch of homeless in Santa Monica. I liked showing opposites ... a very rich California coastal community (I know rich and California coastal community is redundant) overflowing with homeless. I had a gallery devoted to the homeless of Santa Monica ... but it bothered me. After a few days I realized why it bothered me. I was only showing one side of the homeless ... my side ... just a glancing and cursory view of their life style ... as a former journalist this one shallow, sidedness really bothered me ... so I took it down.

I suggest if you really want to photograh the homeless ... take your time and do so with an approach and an appreciation which shows all sides. Photography is communicating ... try an approach which also tells the story of the have-nots. One person spent some time working with the homeless ... that would be a great approach for you to take. If you work with them ... develop a relationship and trust ... man can you imagine the shots you would get. Trust me, the homeless also have a story to tell ... and they want it told, but from their perspective (the truth as they experience it.) Most photogs, like myself, just scrape the top of the barrel ... not the deep stuff.

Once again ... just my $.02 ... good luck to ya,
Gary

just x joey- You have some very interesting shots.

Just my two cents on shooting the homeless. I also shot a bunch of homeless in Santa Monica. I liked showing opposites ... a very rich California coastal community (I know rich and California coastal community is redundant) overflowing with homeless. I had a gallery devoted to the homeless of Santa Monica ... but it bothered me. After a few days I realized why it bothered me. I was only showing one side of the homeless ... my side ... just a glancing and cursory view of their life style ... as a former journalist this one shallow, sidedness really bothered me ... so I took it down.

I suggest if you really want to photograh the homeless ... take your time and do so with an approach and an appreciation which shows all sides. Photography is communicating ... try an approach which also tells the story of the have-nots. One person spent some time working with the homeless ... that would be a great approach for you to take. If you work with them ... develop a relationship and trust ... man can you imagine the shots you would get. Trust me, the homeless also have a story to tell ... and they want it told, but from their perspective (the truth as they experience it.) Most photogs, like myself, just scrape the top of the barrel ... not the deep stuff.

Once again ... just my $.02 ... good luck to ya,
Gary

well that was my intention, i didnt ask them for a photo right away i tried to talk to them. but most of them were bitter and didnt want to chat.

Ask yourself this: why did you take their pictures and why do you want to photograph street people? Do a search on this lady : Moyra Peralta. When you THINK you know why you want to pursue this field, figure out if your motive is altruistic, artistic or parasitic? You don't have to justify yourself to anyone, just your own conscience. Wrt the longer lens, I have found with "street" shots Capa's saying bears out: "If your images aren't good enough, your'e not close enough". So ditch the tele zoom idea and get in close.
I'm not looking to give you a hard time or get preachy. I've photographed homeless people, they feature on my website, then I read about Moyra Peralta. That's where balkancing your urges with conscience comes in.

Cheers, Lol

so quick to judge! lol the whole reason i wanted to photograph them was to share their story with the world, i tried to chat with them and get to know them, but the only one who would chat was the guy with the shopping cart. he was really nice and we chatted for 20mins or so. i love people, im compassionate, and all i want to do is show people the light who dont have it or cant see it. that's my duty as a Christian.

Joey, I wasn't judging. I just wanted you to look perhaps deeper or closer at what you are doing and why. i go through all the agonies I outlined over the photographing of homeless people. As a photographer it's a huge calling. As a guy who loves people I hate to think I am exploiting someone's situation for anything other than a noble cause, and that's where the conflict comes in.
Remember the motives: altrusitic, artistic or parasitic?
If altruistic, how is your photography helping these people either now, or in the future. If your'e trading dollars for pictures why not just give them the money? If artistic, isn't that exploitation? if parasitic, how do you square yourself feeding off someone who has nowhere to go to escape your lens?
See the conundrum? This is where, if you are a decent human being (and I don't doubt you are), you will suffer for your art. Keep taking the photos, count the scars on your soul and make them count for something to help these people.
All the best, and be careful.
Cheers, Lol

Most reactions

Back