The Hummingbird

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I sat outside with my camera on a tripod for a while and a Hummingbird finnally came.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

What should I have done to make this better? I was using the D40 and 18-55mm lens. I am working on getting a better lens but for right know that is all I have.

Shot in Aperture priority, no flash, Focused on bird feeder. I did not try to get the bird as my focus point because of my lens and the fact that they dart all over the place:)

It looks like a pretty clear shot of an extremely quickly moving bird, to me. I guess having the bird positioned against the brick makes it a little harder to see, that's all.

Thanks! I did think of that but it was after taking the picture:)

No PS but I did crop it a little:) Thanks

I agree that the brick is distracting. Maybe try to zoom in a bit more too if you can (or just move closer). I think that shot is good but it's hard to tell the bird is the subject. I first noticed the feeder and then after looking a bit more noticed the bird.

Also if you're having trouble focusing maybe use a smaller aperture to increase DOF (without slowing the camera down to the point where it'd be blur the bird). You can always blur the background in post-processing.

Most reactions

Back