The Joust! A Gentle Awaits Orders

Don't forget folks, not all of us were born with a camera in our hands.

Which is why we post photos here for critique.

Well, some people post here for a pat on the back. These are the usually the same people that get their panties in a bunch when their work of art is not universally loved.
I'd rather hear my photo sucked and why it sucked than have people tell me "great shot" with no additional verbiage. Good C&C is hard. It takes practice and effort. And it's worth learning because self critique is far harder.
This is the main reason I post. To learn how to critique - other people's work as well as my own. Giving good feedback is hard, and those that are willing to do that should be respected and not flamed.

Yeah, cuz it sucks when you suggest a different camera orientation would have been better, and why...and all you get back are excuses, excuses, excuses. I can accept someone defending their decision, but to repeatedly dismiss suggestions...*pffft* I ain't got time for that.

Best ignored.

Feel free to call me a troll, OP.
I have words to describe you as well.

Yeah, cuz it sucks when you suggest a different camera orientation would have been better, and why...and all you get back are excuses, excuses, excuses. I can accept someone defending their decision, but to repeatedly dismiss suggestions...*pffft* I ain't got time for that.

Best ignored.

You're a huge loss to this thread, too. Your commentary has been very in-depth and insightful, I'm sorry the OP is so dismissive of you.

Best ignored.

You're a huge loss to this thread, too. Your commentary has been very in-depth and insightful, I'm sorry the OP is so dismissive of you.

I think we may have another case of counter-dependency here! :)

*heats the oil.. reaches for the corn*

uh huh its the 'net
bigthumb.gif

As for Bitter Jeweler, I can un-regretfully come to the conclusion that you, sir, are a true troll. I've been wondering if I'm the troll or if you guys are, but I think it's none of the above - the troll is just you. Just as your name states, you're just Bitter :) But perhaps we can see that "jewel" part of you one day as well, a diamond in the rough so to speak

Actually, far and away, the best and most thought- and growth-provoking feedback I have gotten on this site was given by Bitter.

On something of a tangent: It is physiologically impossible to talk and listen at the same time.

I'm kind of fond of bitter, myself... smacking him in the face strikes me as... an error. But then our OP has smacked quite a few folks.

There's honor in just receiving critique for what it is without rebuttal. Try it.

I read through all the posts of this thread, this thread that I looked at when it was posted and didn't comment on. I have a message for all those lurkers reading.....if you post an image and don't receive favorable review, be grateful for even receiving a response. A response that took the author time to type. Be grateful and listen to what is said. Take what you want from it and leave what you don't.

Bitter Jeweler a Troll... :confused:

Sorry, he is one of the ones I have taken a liking to. I am not going to debate it with you but I don't see him as a troll.

I think of him as the Wise one. He walks into a thread and sees everyone slinging poo and says "Oh great everyone is slinging poo again."

I know you are new here and speaking as someone who has had some experience with forums I would just say, don't be too quick to formulate opinions. How you perceive people now, a week from now, a month and so on will continue to evolve.

That said. This didn't end nearly as badly as other Newb threads so 'grats!

There's honor in just receiving critique for what it is without rebuttal. Try it.

I read through all the posts of this thread, this thread that I looked at when it was posted and didn't comment on. I have a message for all those lurkers reading.....if you post an image and don't receive favorable review, be grateful for even receiving a response. A response that took the author time to type. Be grateful and listen to what is said. Take what you want from it and leave what you don't.

I would also like to say that I have been guilty of reading threads without saying anything. Im not blowing my own trumpet here, but if I see potential in what the OP has produced, I might comment if my thoughts haven't already been portrayed by someone else. I also feel that there are more worthy photographers that do exactly the same. If I see something that lacks in mostly every aspect, including the OP's perceived attitude, I say perceived because this is an internet forum. I will not comment. So as said above, "be grateful and listen to what is said". You may not agree with what is being said but as some are slowly learning there is a learning process that goes with photography as with anything. We don't just pick up a D/SLR camera and become photographers, Its a learning process and with that we need to remember that people who have been involved with photography for longer than ourselves know what aspects make or break an aesthetically appealing image. Some say "but I'm being creative." You may very well have been going for something different. However, if it is not an appealing image then it is not. It may only lack some minor tweaking but that is where the trained photographers eye comes into it. They can see what it may be missing and comment on it. We need to learn also that the world is made up of many personalities, some are blunt and lack tact but thats part of life, surely we can all say we've dealt with less tactful people? In conclusion to my little rant. Tactful or not we need to listen to experience if we are going to learn this skill we call photography!

edit: I will endeavor to proof read for punctuation before sending...

Ok, so my question is, why are we still arguing here? I've already agreed that you guys are right, case closed right? The only reason I call Bitter a troll is because he hasn't offered any useful advice to me, just commentary on the comments... Bynx, however, if you guys know of him, seemed to have some "troll" aspects, but in the end I've learned to respect him and he gives me great advice and feedback.

Most reactions

Back