The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A casual remark today by a friend started me thinking about the circumstances under which I get inspired to take good, by my own standard, street shots. We are going out tomorrow morning to shoot a large street market and I reminded him to bring his phone because we'll inevitably get separated. He replied that when we shoot together generally I wander off right away.

I realize now that, when I am with other people, the conversation and the interaction diffuses my concentration and I am not as aware of the situation around me and, more importantly, I am not sensitive to the possibilities.

Taking good street shots means, not only responding quickly to an ephemeral situation, but, even more important, being away of scenes that are funny, ironic or in some way interesting to capture. It takes concentration to be constantly filtering out the things that don't matter and 'seeing' the parts of the visual field that do matter – at least in terms of a possible good picture.

The rest is at my blog. I encourage, enjoin, entreat you to read the rest, complete with illustrations. - even comment if you like

http://lewlortonphoto.com/blog/2013/9/the-key-to-successful-street-photography

I added this paragraph to the blog post but I think it is key and so copy it here.

If there is one physical skill you must develop to be successful, that is knowing your camera well so that you can raise it to your eye and instantly shoot, then drop it down. If you peer through the finder forever, people will become aware that you are pointing the camera and, much of the time, the spontaneous situation you desire situation will dissolve before your eyes.

The key is always shoot on your own and get as close as possible, as Capa said if the photos are not good enough you are not close enough

If I may add to that. I find placement of yourself is also key. Scouting out things like backgrounds and leading lines before a subject enters the area will increase the likely hood of a good shot by far. I scout out a place then put on a 70-200 so I can get away from the area and this gives me the edge on catching a natural shot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47096888@N06/

Prime lens, no zoom, no avoiding eye contact and use your legs; an unassuming manner, a ready smile, up close and wide angle is what I think works best.

The key is always shoot on your own and get as close as possible, as Capa said if the photos are not good enough you are not close enough

If I may add to that. I find placement of yourself is also key. Scouting out things like backgrounds and leading lines before a subject enters the area will increase the likely hood of a good shot by far. I scout out a place then put on a 70-200 so I can get away from the area and this gives me the edge on catching a natural shot.

Flickr: shayne_photos' Photostream

Prime lens, no zoom, no avoiding eye contact and use your legs; an unassuming manner, a ready smile, up close and wide angle is what I think works best.

Everyone has a different perfect method - for themselves.

Most reactions

Back