The L Family Child Portraits: 2 Boys, 2 Girls

NJMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are some from my latest portrait session with a few favorite regulars. I've previously done individuals of them from time to time. C&C always welcome. Thanks for looking. I appreciate it! :)

IMG_3952_2_blur_copy_700_vig_sig.jpg

IMG_4056_2_blur_copy_700_vig_sig.jpg

IMG_4072_2_blur_copy_700_vig_sig.jpg

IMG_3876_2_blur_copy_600_vig_sig.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

NJ

Wow I love their eyes! The third one is my favorite. I think in 4 on my monitor anyway she has some splotchiness on her forehead and under her right eye. I can't tell if it's shadows or if there was something there that was taken out? Or like I said - this monitor sucks.
I like the dreamy look of them, nice job! :)

i agree 3 is my fav! they are all very nice, but one thing i notice is that in all but 3, you are shooting down on them. i always think it is nice to shoot kids on their level.

Beautiful kids - love the photos! They are all very nice.

Thanks kathi, holga girl, and stella! I have shots of them all with different angles, but the ones I felt the most comfortable posting at first were the ones where they are looking up at me (#1, #2 and #4). Its just one of several styles that I like to do. I will try to post a few more with me shooting at their level.

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to comment. It means a lot to me! :)

Wow I love their eyes! The third one is my favorite. I think in 4 on my monitor anyway she has some splotchiness on her forehead and under her right eye. I can't tell if it's shadows or if there was something there that was taken out? Or like I said - this monitor sucks.
I like the dreamy look of them, nice job! :)

Hi Kathi,
Im not sure why you are seeing splotchiness. Thats all of her natural skin. They look like shadows to me. Thanks for commenting. I always appreciate your time. :)

NJMAN, those are top notch. I agree they are dreamy, I would add a bit romantic too. In a sweet way. Did you layer in photoshop and blurr the background? Maybe their faces a little too? And sharpen the eyes? Or did you just use a macro lens? I'd be interested to know. SYKES3

Hi NJMAN,
I actually love shots of kids when they are looking up at you. I think it's nice because it seems intentional, and it doesn't look as amateurish as the shots people get because they don't know to get down to their level. In those, the child is often not looking at you...
I also really like the softening you've done on these. And, I do like the eyes as well, but in my opinion, I think they're a tad overdone on all of them except for the 2nd shot. Just a tad too oversharpened I think. I think it may just be the contrast between the nicely softened skin and then such sharp eyes is making it look too fake for my taste. I think if you toned it down just a bit they would look absolutely fabulous!
I think these are the best you've posted so far. Really nice:)

I love them. Great job.

I also see some "splotching" on the fourth. I have no idea what it is, but it looks like smudges with a big "healing" tool.

Cute kids and nice job. To me, except for the 3rd one, they seem to be cropped to tight though. Maybe as large wall prints with a nice big frame around them it would look different. The 3rd one to me is about right for the amount of space around him.

Good exposure and color on them.

Mike

Hi Kathi,
Im not sure why you are seeing splotchiness. Thats all of her natural skin. They look like shadows to me. Thanks for commenting. I always appreciate your time. :)

Yeah like I said this monitor sucks bigtime! All that matters is what it looks like printed anyway and with the way you captured her beautiful eyes, her mom and dad aren't likely to notice if you tattoo'd LIFE SUCKS on her forehead! :)

I love shooting kids from above them. In my opinion they give you such a genuine expression moreso than when you have a camera aimed right at their face straight across from them. Maybe if feels less intimidating but some of the true smiles I get out of kids with those angles are aweseme!

But I'm seeing it too, and my monitor is a high def NEC Widescreen calibrated weekly. I'm definately seeing something here. Maybe she was just flushed or something, but a little soft blur might help the splotchiness I'm seeing.

NJMAN, those are top notch. I agree they are dreamy, I would add a bit romantic too. In a sweet way. Did you layer in photoshop and blurr the background? Maybe their faces a little too? And sharpen the eyes? Or did you just use a macro lens? I'd be interested to know. SYKES3

Thanks much Sykes! I always put a slight blur around the outer edges as well as the edges of their heads, but very slight. I added a vignette as well. And yes, I sharpened the eyes just a touch, but the sharpness from the lens did most of that. The 50mm helps a lot. I dont usually use all the way to 1.8. I set to f/2.8, and that really sharpens the focus. :)

Hi NJMAN,
I actually love shots of kids when they are looking up at you. I think it's nice because it seems intentional, and it doesn't look as amateurish as the shots people get because they don't know to get down to their level. In those, the child is often not looking at you...
I also really like the softening you've done on these. And, I do like the eyes as well, but in my opinion, I think they're a tad overdone on all of them except for the 2nd shot. Just a tad too oversharpened I think. I think it may just be the contrast between the nicely softened skin and then such sharp eyes is making it look too fake for my taste. I think if you toned it down just a bit they would look absolutely fabulous!
I think these are the best you've posted so far. Really nice:)

Thank you April! I really value your input. Thank you for the great critique. I am always trying to do something to improve my portrait work. :)

I love them. Great job.

I also see some "splotching" on the fourth. I have no idea what it is, but it looks like smudges with a big "healing" tool.

I think Im going to rework that 4th shot, and try to clean up a bit. I hope its not too noticeable. The prints actually turned out nice with none of that showing. Thank you for the very kind words Cindy! :)

Cute kids and nice job. To me, except for the 3rd one, they seem to be cropped to tight though. Maybe as large wall prints with a nice big frame around them it would look different. The 3rd one to me is about right for the amount of space around him.

Good exposure and color on them.

Mike

Thank you very much Mike! I really appreciate the nice comments. :) I have other ones where they are cropped differently and at different angles, which I would like to show.

Yeah like I said this monitor sucks bigtime! All that matters is what it looks like printed anyway and with the way you captured her beautiful eyes, her mom and dad aren't likely to notice if you tattoo'd LIFE SUCKS on her forehead! :)

I love shooting kids from above them. In my opinion they give you such a genuine expression moreso than when you have a camera aimed right at their face straight across from them. Maybe if feels less intimidating but some of the true smiles I get out of kids with those angles are aweseme!

Thanks again Kathi for following up! :)

But I'm seeing it too, and my monitor is a high def NEC Widescreen calibrated weekly. I'm definately seeing something here. Maybe she was just flushed or something, but a little soft blur might help the splotchiness I'm seeing.

Thanks Cindy for following up also. Im going to rework it. :)

Hi NJ. I love the post processing that you have done. Yes please share the secret to your kick butt eyes. !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back