The lady is being a pain!!

You're the one holding the camera, if you want to say no to her, then you can. If she is being difficult, has difficult children and is not paying you, tell her that you are no longer avaliable. You're too young to have to start dealing with people like this, life is just too short to have annoying people like this in your life.

Be polite to her and tell her honestly that you have decided not to do the photos. You don't have to give her a reason.

You are at least as good as most young startups. I wouldn't charge like the old pros, but stop under selling yourself. This set should be worth at least $50 for your time.

I asked people on here or another forum and they all said that $20 or $25 was a good price to start at.

I guess $20-25 could be okay to start, but she might be paying you or she might not. I would definitely tell her that you will require payment this time - and at the time of the shoot, not months later.

Yes! I definitely we not be doing the whole not paying thing again!!

I've never done a maternity shoot before either so I'm trying to look up a few things that I can do and she wants to go back to their house to the baby room and do some pictures there.

Really, though, $20-25 is not enough. You'll spend at least an hour shooting outside, right?? And maybe an hour in the nursery?? Then how long will you spend doing the post processing?? Maybe 2-3 hours, at a minimum?? So that's 4-5 hours right there. If you're getting paid $20, you're earning $4-5 an hour. Not even minimum wage.

She probably puts more in the collection box than she wants to pay you, tell her to take a hike unless she pays at least $100

Really, though, $20-25 is not enough. You'll spend at least an hour shooting outside, right?? And maybe an hour in the nursery?? Then how long will you spend doing the post processing?? Maybe 2-3 hours, at a minimum?? So that's 4-5 hours right there. If you're getting paid $20, you're earning $4-5 an hour. Not even minimum wage.

Good point! I never thought of it that way!

BentCounterShaft's post is very insightful as is the link provided by Big Mike. After seeing your photos, you have good-enough image quality and sense of portrait compositions to charge at least $75 for an hour of photos (church discount, $50, but at least make that clear its a discount). Good luck :)

Im in Arkansas and there is no way id be able to do a shoot at 530. Its pitch dark by then! I would just explaiin to here there is no way to get great lighting at that time, if she insists i would explain that you did pre warn here and the photos will most likely not be what she wants. 4 or 430 seems like it would be a great time, hopefully she will compromise a bit with you.

Most reactions

Back