The lenses for amateur Nikon users

passerby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
From reading around on daily basis I have collected number of lenses upto date that are considered as the best performers most wanted list among the amateours and enthusiast. Price and / or perfomance seem to me as the major role. As for the nikon 18-200mm it is it's versatility as the main choice, best walk around lens with VR feature.
If you know anything else from any brand please list it.

Nikkor 18-70 f3.5 - 4.5
Nikkor 18-200 f3.5 - 5.6
Nikkor 50 f1.8
Nikkor 60 f ? Macro

Sigma 17-70 f2.8 - f ? Macro
Sigma 10-20
Tamron 17-50 f2.8

edit - i totally missed the the idea of this thread..

the nikon 60mm is a 2.8 macro

the 85mm 1.8 is a biggie as well

I would also check out the new 16-85 VR.
this lens is definitely no "performer". you could get the 12-24 dx or a used 17-55 2.8 for around the same price.

i really don't get these new zooms and super zooms.

I would also check out the new 16-85 VR.

I don't think this zoom is in the list yet because the price for untested performance. I read in the discussion forum it seem this is not so sparkling at this moment. Maybe in few months time thing will change.

edit - i totally missed the the idea of this thread..
the nikon 60mm is a 2.8 macro

the 85mm 1.8 is a biggie as well

Maybe because it is the cheapest macro from nikon? I don't know.
Btw do you have a good lens to list from any brand, especially the macro?

I have the 18-70 and its really good. The picture quality is pretty darn good, zoomed in the 4.5 instead of 5.6 is nice. The build is decent, not up to pro glass, but then again, better then the kit lens and such, but did you really expect all that much for the 150-200 used that it costs. good all around lens.

I use a 50mm f/1.4, and I'm sure it's not much different than the 1.8 version. I love it. It's a great focal length for portraiture (upper body shots indoors, whatever you want outdoors.) It's a great piece of glass, and for the price of the 1.8, tough to go wrong. The Nikon 60mm f/2.8, from what I hear, is great. There's an AF-S version set to come out anytime, so that might mean the current AF-D version will go down in price a bit. So yeah, there's my $.02.

If I were you (and this will come as no surprise to most) unless you are looking for convenience over image quality I would steer clear of the 18-200. Alot of people here just love that lens but most of them will agree that the image quality and sharpness suffers due to the focal-length range. Personally, if I am going to spend $600+ on a lens I want something with superior image sharpness and a fast maximum aperture.

If I were you (and this will come as no surprise to most) unless you are looking for convenience over image quality I would steer clear of the 18-200. Alot of people here just love that lens but most of them will agree that the image quality and sharpness suffers due to the focal-length range. Personally, if I am going to spend $600+ on a lens I want something with superior image sharpness and a fast maximum aperture.

Others would rather not lose the shot.

Others would rather not lose the shot.

True, but then again I would not know many situations where you need 18mm in one second and 200 in the next second.

Maybe in fast sports, but then the f/5.6 are a bit slow at 200mm. There a long prime and a short wide angle zoom can be quite handy (ideally on two camera bodies, if affordable).

But then again I do not know about this particular lens and its performance.

Its all about using the right tool for the job.

On my recent vacation I OFTEN went from 18mm to 200mm many times on a daily basis.

There are times (that come often for me) when convenience outweighs maximum quality. Matter of fact, I own the 70-200 and the 18-200 lenses. I have the 18-200 on my camera about 50% of the time. I`ve used the 70-200 lens... TWICE, thats it. Granted the results were nice, but thats all the times I have needed it.

There is no one perfect lens for all situations, but there are lenses that with small compromise in quality offer a wonderful versatility. There are also other lenses that for greater money, lower versatility and increased weight... will get you a superior shot.

It all depends on what you as a photographer want.

If the only tool you have is a hammer... it is amazing how everything that is not, starts to look like a nail.

What lens can i use to get a "bokeh" image. I use a Nikon D40.

What lens can i use to get a "bokeh" image. I use a Nikon D40.

primes will work best, ie 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4) 85mm 1.8 (or 1.4)

long focal lengths work well with large aperture

I also agree the 18-200 is excellent for what it's meant for. I do not personally own or never had the chance to use one. But i know before i take my trip overseas next year i will definitely have one in my bag so i can travel light and conveniently.

primes will work best, ie 50mm 1.8 (or 1.4) 85mm 1.8 (or 1.4)

long focal lengths work well with large aperture

I also agree the 18-200 is excellent for what it's meant for. I do not personally own or never had the chance to use one. But i know before i take my trip overseas next year i will definitely have one in my bag so i can travel light and conveniently.

is it compatible with the d40x? if so, are there any recommended brand of prime 85mm lenses? or i can stick with Nikkor?

I've heard good things about the 18-200. I mean, I'll never get one, because I have no problem carrying big, fast glass. But, for the market the 18-200 was made for, it's a great and useful lens (based on what I've heard, of course.) I have a 50mm f/1.4, which I totally dig. It's small, light, and a blast to shoot portraiture with. It's my favorite portraiture lens. I'm not sure if the 50mm f/1.4, f/1.8, or 85mm f/1.4, f/1.8 is compatible with the D40x...I don't believe any of the four are AF-S, they are all AF-D I believe.

I'll check...
Nikon's 50mm primes and 85mm primes are NOT compatible with the D40/D40x.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back