The Light Farm. Our future with film ?

Whatever it will be, will not help the film to survive. :(

The future will come and the past will remain- whatever became of it. Carry on until you can't.

In the mean time here's a link found on the site linked to in the first post.

Oh, what a life! Enjoy.

BTW Somewhat NSFW:

[video=vimeo;14611268]http://vimeo.com/14611268[/video]

Thats funny because film sales have gone up for the last few year and Ferrania has started up again

Why are you writing this comment in response to my post? They seem unrelated. I was talking about a hypothetical future when large format digital backs become affordable (and to a lesser extent, when full frame digital costs negligibly more than old SLR film cameras). Considering they still cost as much as a small house right now for LF digital, and that 35mm digital costs $1500+ more than 35mm film to get into, none of the predictions apply yet.

They are not $1500 more than the 35mm film cameras i use

There is one big problem gentlemen. Our equipment is getting old. Real old. It may carry film photography for another 15-20 years, but without parts and experienced mechanics gone cameras eventually will stop. There is no prospect of newly made film bodies even of only K1000 class. Manual lenses are also a problem. Carl Zeiss is making them, I don't believe they ever went into AF market. Those are superior lenses actually made for digital world, but still some one can order in M42 mount. I have no idea, what is the future of large format lenses and shutters. Anything there starts from $1000. Not so much for amateurs.

Leica still make film cameras and parts :sexywink:

There is one big problem gentlemen. Our equipment is getting old. Real old. It may carry film photography for another 15-20 years, but without parts and experienced mechanics gone cameras eventually will stop. There is no prospect of newly made film bodies even of only K1000 class. Manual lenses are also a problem. Carl Zeiss is making them, I don't believe they ever went into AF market. Those are superior lenses actually made for digital world, but still some one can order in M42 mount. I have no idea, what is the future of large format lenses and shutters. Anything there starts from $1000. Not so much for amateurs.

Leica still make film cameras and parts :sexywink:
Correct. But can you imagine film beginner starting from Laica ? Doling out $10000 just to try film ?

Correct. But can you imagine film beginner starting from Laica ? Doling out $10000 just to try film ?

Nikon still sells the F6 and FM10 new as well.

Most people that want to try film just go get a $25 camera from goodwill or ebay anyway, and there are quite a few repairmen that still work on the old ones.

The expensive cameras come later after they're hooked. Also, you don't have to spend $10,000 to shoot with a Leica. Perfectly useable M3s/M2s can be had for around $500 and older screw mount lenses are still as good as they were in the old days and can be cheap too. I bought a Summitar 50mm for $300 about a year ago that works great on my M6 with a $30 adapter.

Last edited:
[Nikon still sells the F6 and FM10 new as well.

Most people that want to try film just go get a $25 camera from goodwill or ebay anyway, and there are quite a few repairmen that still work on the old ones.

The expensive cameras come later after they're hooked. Also, you don't have to spend $10,000 to shoot with a Leica. Perfectly useable M3s/M2s can be had for around $500 and older screw mount lenses are still as good as they were in the old days and can be cheap too. I bought a Summitar 50mm for $300 about a year ago that works great on my M6 with a $30 adapter.
Yes, but we are talking 20 years into future. There will be not enough this $25 cameras from Goodwill (that already is mostly finished) in working condition to support film production. In any case all, what is made new now is only small format.

Yes, but we are talking 20 years into future. There will be not enough this $25 cameras from Goodwill (that already is mostly finished) in working condition to support film production. In any case all, what is made new now is only small format.

In the UK there are hundreds of places I can send an old camera for repair, there will always be experts that can service my Leicas

I saw a discussion on Flickr a while ago (over a year) about some guy who was making his own film - I mean, even making the polyester base from scratch - in his basement or something.

Now, "making film" WAS his day job (he was a retired engineer or something at Fuji). It was all very cool. I tried to find it, but couldn't. The point is, it's possible! All of the machinery was homemade too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back