The local paper

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I live in a very small town with a small news paper. Do you think they would hire a student photographer? What are the chances they would even look at my portfolio? Their shots aren't great and I feel I can do better. What about time? Will I need more time than I have (with school and all)? If so should I wait till summer? By the way I'm 16.

I was thinking about doing the same thing at a paper around me. There is a small paper that is more of a community kind of paper. I haven't gotten the chance to go there yet but it's worth a shot.

I was planning on bringing along my high schools paper which I have about 95% of the pictures as well as my portfolio.

and btw I'm 17

Well I live in a very small town with a small news paper. Do you think they would hire a student photographer?

One thing to ALWAYS remember:

It never hurts to ask.

Go directly to the offices and make an appointment to meet with someone that can look at your portfolio (being there in person makes it harder for them to say "no"). Dress nicely, have your hair combed, and show them your work. What's the worst that can happen? Go for it! :D

I regularly sell photos to the local newspapers. Most will not hire a person without a college degree. But how about some sort of work study program through your high school? Talk to the Editor or photo editor in larger papers. Does your school have a photography class? Get your photo teacher involved.

Most papers, even small ones have gone digital. News photographers were some of the first to switch to digital. It's a matter of time. You do not have to develop the film and make a print to use the image.

Also carry your camera with you. Take pics of everything, accidents, fires, shipwrecks, elk on the beach, sports, racecars, etc. With digital you can get thepics to the editor within a short time of the event. I have taken the shots, gone to a coffee shop and used WiFi to send them just a few minutes after they were taken.

Be pleasently persistant.

Although I am very new to photography, I do have experience with Entertainment and Media. Because you are in a small town, the chances are better. You don't have 1500 other students trying to do the same thing. I wouldnt go in with a cocky attitude, have confidence, just dont be cocky. Dont tell them that you could take better photos, as they might get offended. You never know if they have a family member doing the photography.

Most reactions

Back