The maintance guy introduced me to Wallace Nutting.

jajomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have a great story to tell....

I work in the offices of a Electronics RF Signal Company and it is located in an industrial park and I recently started taking my camera and going out to look for some fun "junk" to shoot.

Well .....one day last week the maintenance guy Steve stopped me and asked about my new hobby and made a comment how he liked one of my pictures (digital art to be more correct) in my cubicle.

We started to talk and I heard a very interesting and funny story of how in the truck driving days of his youth he stumbled upon these fabulous hand colored prints by this artist Wallace Nutting in various gift shops of truck stops around the country.

Well he started collecting them over the next 20 years of trucking (appprox 1960 to 1980) out of pure love of the medium. They sounded wonderful and he promised to bring a few in someday to show me.

(I am a bit of a history buff and did see a special a few years ago about hand coloring prints..but I watched the show took the small nugget of knowledge of the process..and that was it..never learn or retained any real info about the various artist who did this.)

Forward to yesterday around 9am. Steve gives me a sly little wave and beckons me to his station and sitting there in all their aged beauty were 5 prints in various sizes and subject and my heart melted..I have fallen in love with Wallace Nutting....and all two hundred of his colorists if I could find our their names.

What a wonderful week at work...I found a new friend and learned something completely new and exciting.

Definitely pretty impressive stuff, Just Googled him also.. had no idea who he was.

From Wikipedia: Interesting stuff
"Wallace Nutting (1861 - 1941) was a U.S. minister, photographer, artist, and antiquarian, who is most famous for his pictures. He also was an accomplished author, lecturer, furniture maker —some of whose reproductions pass as antiques— antiques expert and collector. His atmospheric photographs helped spur the Colonial Revival style."

Most reactions

Back