The McNaught Comet

boris152

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was only able to find one post on this forum about Comet McNaught. I was sure I'd see more pictures of it than that. The weather's been awful where I am, and I haven't even seen it. It's close to the sun right now, and supposedly visible in broad daylight. After it passes too close, no one in the Northern Hemisphere will see it again.

I heard about it... and I live in Australia. It is supposedly most visible Sunday and Monday 14-15th January. I took my camera up on the roof but unfortunately there was too much cloud around the horizon to see it but I get quite a few nice sunset shots :p

Interesting to see if anyone stumbles across this thread and has got sum pics to show.

I heard the news on TV last week and saw this ONE photo on here (and commented), but we've had clouds and more clouds for weeks on end here, so no chance to ever see any comet at all. Not even the stars, or the sky as such, for that matter. Today is a nicer day, but I doubt I can see it right now (almost midday here) ;).

So it seems like either people don't even know a comet is visible in the sky right now, or they know but can't see (let alone photograph) it because they suffer from as ugly weather, as you do, Boris.

It's too close to the Sun now to really photograph. It was visible for about a 2-3 week period, but JUST before sunrise and JUST after sunset. Supposedly as bright as Venus for a few days, but I wasn't able to see it the one or two days I had clear skies.

My uncle got this photo of it

CometMcNaught.jpg

Last night was the first clear sky we've had here in nearly a month and with a thin crescent moon visible I got my camera out and then...........

CLOUDS! in just 25 minutes the sky completely clouded over! :confused: If you ever want a cloudy night sky just get a camera or telescope out!

I knew McNaught was visible and even waited up a few nights to try to see it. No such luck! :grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back