'the meeting' aka 'birds'

johnnyroc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score

hello fellow artists. this is my first post and my first attempt at an SLR. any feedback whether positive or negative will be much appreciated.

johnny

did you do post processing? what kinda of camera? The contrast hurts my head.

Canon SLR K2
Kodak 400
f5
handheld (since it's daylight)
Rite-aid 1 hour photo
scanned 4x6 with my $200 epson scanner at 300 dpi
post in photoshop:
added film grain
messed with levels
added color

i'm obviously an amateur but the fact that my work is capable of producing headeachs speaks of my potential.

here is the same foto without effects:

The second version works much better for me. The original post I do believe had probably just been 'pushed' too far in levels leaving extremely bright and over saturated areas.
Good use of the rule of thirds.

i see. Do you see anything wrong with my process? Like scanning 4 x 6 prints myself? I have a feeling there is a better way of digitizing my work. I'm sure this is a rookie question but i'm taking 2 rolls to a pro lab here in hollywood tomorrow wanna be prepared.

I work with a digital camera, so unfortunately my knowledge in that sector is.. limited. Actually, close to nil. From what I have read on TPF though, I do believe many people will actually scan their negatives with either a 'special' machine or with a scanner that is capable of scanning negatives and slides as well. The difference between scanning the negative and developed print? I am not quite certain. Hopefully a film user or two will pop by and answer your question.

I agree with the second "ororiginal photo. If you continue to use film, get the lab to scann at high res for you when you get the film developed. Much better than scanning a 4x6.

"scan at high res", do you mean the negative? flatbed? or drum scanning? i don't even know the difference but have to let the lab know.

i like the progonal as well

i have been scanning the 4x6 aswell. i just recently got that camera actually its a good one. Dont do the 1 hour thing at rite aid cause its done in the store. Do the kodak because its shipped off to kodak and they do a better job. i never did this but for a few dollars more you can buy the picture cd i dont know if those are anygood

i did do the picture CD thing. it was beyond horrible. they say so themselves. i think from now on i'll stick with a pro lab.

1st. never develope at rite aid.

2nd. how you scan depends on what you are scanning.
for slides you obviously need to use a slide scanner.
for color prints i would use a negative scanner.
for black and white i just scan the print, mainly because i develope my own so im scanning an 8x10 sized print @200 dpi and because when you develope your own, you can do tricks in the dark room.

Most reactions

Back