The mental health benefits of photography

When I am alone in the countryside photographing wildlife I find it very therapeutic, and with everything that's gone on this last year or so it has helped me keep my sanity, I think.

I have a friend who is such a perfectionist that she agonizes for hours over getting the shot exactly right. .

There have been times that I shot a bunch of photos and after reviewing the set deleted them all. The difference for me is that I had fun attempting getting the shot I had in mind.

I have a friend who is such a perfectionist that she agonizes for hours over getting the shot exactly right. .

There have been times that I shot a bunch of photos and after reviewing the set deleted them all. The difference for me is that I had fun attempting getting the shot I had in mind.
Well I think its kind of a big mistake you could have store them somewhere else because they can be useful anywhere that you don't even know.
This kind of thing has happened to me that is why I was recommending.

Well I think its kind of a big mistake you could have store them somewhere else because they can be useful anywhere that you don't even know.
This kind of thing has happened to me that is why I was recommending.

I have way too much for storage now. I do save items for future use in composites.

quackers.jpg
Well photography has helped my mental state
Just spent a few hours out with; the dogs and camera. Went to to the petersfield ponds, so did the rest of Hampshire it would seem.
Nice and relaxing few hours, later I will have at the images.

Last edited:
Great post! Thanks for sharing :)

I sent this to my wife... she replied back, you better clean the garage, put up all the outdoor furniture, clean your pull barn, powerwash the side of the house, and clean up the flower beds this weekend or you get a real nice meaning of number 10. I responded, get a flippin job and we'll talk about it....
It’s nice to see your wife has a hobby, too.🤣

I know that taking pictures in nature can have many health benefits. Studies have shown that photography not only helps us focus on positive life experiences, it can boost self-esteem and even lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol.

-

The greatest benefit for me is "not to fix my life on the job".

I go shoot every day — rain, snow, or shine — for at least an
hour just to make sure I see the successive seasons go by and
the changing life within.

IMPROVES SELF-CARE HABITS​

ENCOURAGES COMMUNITY INTERACTION​

CAN HELP YOU REMEMBER THE JOYS OF LIFE​

PROVIDES A BEAUTIFUL VISION OF THE WORLD​

KEEPS THE BRAIN IN GREAT SHAPE​

WE GET TO ENJOY WHAT YOU LOVE EVEN MORE​

PHOTOS ARE POSITIVE MOOD STIMULANTS​

IMPROVES CREATIVITY​

GIVES YOU A SENSE OF DIRECTION​

Oh hell yes! COVID is one thing but I doubled down on it with two spine surgeries and a long recovery period. I am absolutely certain that, without photography, I'd have been clinically depressed!

Photography is chicken soup for the soul. Excellent article in the original post. Photography can demand complete concentration and mental focus, taking ones mind off stress of every day life. It can never be completely mastered so learning can be constant and constant exercise for aging brains. Hauling a bag and walking is great exercise. Interaction with other people you may not know is interesting and mentally stimulating. It pushes us out of our analyitical left brain where many stay in their jobs and live into the creative, left brain. A wonderful, multifaceted pursuit.

Photography is chicken soup for the soul. Excellent article in the original post. Photography can demand complete concentration and mental focus, taking ones mind off stress of every day life. It can never be completely mastered so learning can be constant and constant exercise for aging brains. Hauling a bag and walking is great exercise. Interaction with other people you may not know is interesting and mentally stimulating. It pushes us out of our analyitical left brain where many stay in their jobs and live into the creative, left brain. A wonderful, multifaceted pursuit.
Well stated.

Most reactions

Back