The Milky Way

Rick50

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this the other night and have been struggling with the editing. Here it is anyway.
This is a bit new for me but I see possibilities down the road. In this exposure there was a lot of wind and I got camera
shake so I will try again. What do you think?

0605-2252-L.jpg

that's a great start! shooting at night is an amazing experience. Exposure looks pretty good, now I would just work on finding an interesting foreground.

Nice MW shot! I agree that the foreground could use more interest.

that's a great start! shooting at night is an amazing experience. Exposure looks pretty good, now I would just work on finding an interesting foreground.

That's the plan. Now that I know how and when I need to find a good spot that is dark and interesting.

I think it is a beautiful shot!! I like pics of the Milky Way :)

A lot more contrast please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice shot Rick! Just reset the black point on the sky. Try several spots until you get a result you are happy with.

p751500040-4.jpg

What were your settings?

Canon 5D, Mark III.
Canon 16-35mm 2.8 lens at 16mm 2.8.
30 seconds.
ISO 3200.
These should work as a starting point.

Find a dark sky spot (this is 30 miles from home) and make sure there is no moon.

Heres a couple of links I found by digging for 3 days.

David Kingham Photography | Ten Steps to Photograph the Milky Way

The Elusive Milky Way ? How to Find It! | StarCircleAcademy.com llc

Hope this helps. Been fun for me. Let me know if you need help on when the Milky Way is present (I'll try put some links together).

Like I said it was windy so next try I'll do better. Hardest part is the post processing (at least for me).

Rick

"Nice shot Rick! Just reset the black point on the sky. Try several spots until you get a result you are happy with."

Thanks sleist for the tip. I need to work on this part.

Like them starz . Ed

I like both versions.

Second one is way better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually already an avid astrophotographer. It is a wonderful shot. I like the first image a tad better. It is just a personal preference. I don't like things too contrasty. I think Milky Way shots can get away with a little color to the sky, not necessarily pitch black like you would want it for planetary or deep sky shots. But that is just me, both photos look brilliant.

One thing though: I can't really tell, are there star trails or is that just shake from the wind? The exposure doesn't seem too long for the focal length you shot at, so I'm betting it is the wind that gave the tripod a little shake. That's a pain for these types of photos.

Cheers,
Gunnar

Most reactions

Back