The moment you decided to get serious

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by bscenefilms, Mar 20, 2012.

1. bscenefilms

bscenefilms TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    about photography - To go from snap-shooter to Photographer (amater or pro) - for me it was when I saw this picture as a child:

$The Terminal.JPG

When I saw this picture by Alfred Stieglitz I was mesmerized. My father showed me this picture (he was a big 4x5 Crown Graphic user) and after about 30 minutes of scrutinizing it, I asked him to teach me photography. I have never looked back.

What made you pick up the camera?

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since you love this image, do your self a favor and find a version of The Eloquent Eye. I was reviewing it the other day for an up and coming class and his images still bring tears to my heart and this is after seeing this DVD at least 5 times.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I took my first Photography class in 2004

4. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I never got really serious ;)

At least not in a sense that there was one event / day / whatever that suddenly changed everything.

I picked up the first camera at pre-teen age, and from there on there was a very slow gradual change over the years ... guess I am a slow learner ;)

5. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I love to make things. A photograph is just another thing to make.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I sort of started expecting to learn, but it wasn't till I took this;
    [​IMG]

that I started to really rather try and take it more seriously. I mean I really liked that shot when I got it, mostly because I got it however there were faults; it wasn't quite as good as it could be. So that was kind of the turning point (though it really wasn't just one single shot but more the few days around it and the general shots taken).
    Prior to that I'd snapped some snaps with the DSLR, but not really given it much of a real use outside for anything.

7. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I decided to get serious about photography about 30 seconds after I was gifted a slightly used, but nearly 10 year old, Minolta SR-T 101, MC Rokkor-PG 58mm f/1.2, and MC Rokkor-PF 135mm f/2.8 on my 30th birthday (1981).

I was given the camera so I could do astrophotography.

8. Austin Greene

Austin Greene Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've always loved taking photos of things for as long as I can remember, but it wasn't until a couple years ago after a near-death incident that I had a pretty big change of heart about things in general. To put it simply, I just decided I would start living my life, and stop worrying.

The first change I made, was to chase a childhood dream of mine, to become a certified SCUBA Diver. From the moment I hit the water I was amazed at how beautiful the undersea world was, and how different it is from any aquarium would make you think it is. I was in love with diving, and I completed over 100 dives in my first year alone. I'm now a certified PADI Dive Master and AAUS Scientific Research Diver for UC Davis.

It was when I saw this photo by Brian Skerry that I realized I could take my love for photography and use my love for diving to push a goal of conserving the ocean. One day in passing I mentioned to my father about how if I had the chance to be a National Geographic photographer, that I would gladly give up everything to do it and truly follow my passion of marine conservation. To my amazement, as a christmas gift my parents (who aren't well off financially either) bought me the camera I had resigned myself to never being able to afford while in college, the Canon T3i. It was the strongest "go follow your dreams" message I've ever received, and I'll never forget unwrapping what symbolized the key to my future.

Since then I've started to save up for a proper housing along with some strobes, and in maybe a year when I've learned the camera through and through, I'll be ready to take the T3i on its first dive! Then I'll be able to take another step along my journey and bring some quality underwater photography to TPF along the way! In the meantime I'm shooting every chance I get, with at least 6 hours a week of devoted time behind the viewfinder. I've seen some great improvement, but I no doubt have a very long way to go.

Here's the photo, taken by my diving and photography idol, Brian Skerry, that inspired me to combine my love for photography and diving as well and make a change for the better ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  9. kylehess10

kylehess10 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For me I thought it was cool & all when I got my first SLR but I didn't start getting serious until I got my hands on my first f/2.8 lens. Then when I got my first f/1.8 lens it was on!

10. OpticMemory

OpticMemory TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got serious about photography when I noticed that all of the pictures that I took (point and shoot) looked boring and lifeless. I picked up a magazine about photography and been moving forward since... that was 2 months ago... lol.. I have a long way to go. =)

• Like Like x 1
  11. bscenefilms

bscenefilms TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, Ann. I am a big fan of this doc as well.

Diane Arbus was a big influence for me as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DiskoJoe

DiskoJoe Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

It was after I took this photo. At the time I only have a Canon Elph 6mp. We had went on vacation to Chicago and I wanted to take a bunch of pictures for vacation mementos. Most were just snap shots but it was the first time I tried to actually take a minute to frame my shots better. Huge turning point once I saw the results. Then this shot was one of the last I took before the battery on my camera died. It was just a magical kind of moment to capture. I was in the largest city I had ever been too and had never seen so many people on the streets before. I was actually trying to get the guy in the shot but at the last second he tried to step out of the way so he would not be in my shot. LOL

[​IMG]
    IMG_1008 final sunburst by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

For tghe record the sun flare is real and not a photoshop effect.

• Like Like x 1