The Morning Patrol

i dont think you need to explain yourself at all rebel. art is what it is because it is all 100% objective. there is no good or bad. just personal taste. its all art in the end. :)

Can someone tell me exactly WHY it is we are opening up this can of worms AGAIN????? He PLAINLY posted that it was a manipulated photo, therefore, if you don't want anything to do with looking a manipulated photos, HIT THE BACK BUTTON IN THE UPPER LEFT HAND OF YOUR SCREEN!!!! We all went through this and posted our opinions in the other thread, why go through it all again? State your opinion, and then step back and let others have thier own opinion. This is a nice, calm, happy, friendly, we-all-love-each-other forum, and I think most of us would like to keep it that way. So....um....I guess that's it. I hope we can all play nice now. I LIKE my happy TPF family!

hmm...I must have not seen the other thread. Rebel my comment was not really directed towards your photo or you in anyway. I would like to rebut but in the most friendly of ways. I fully admit I have not yet learned darkroom. However, my guess is that it takes more talent and skill then Photoshop. Most of what I have learned from Photoshop I have learned by just playing around. It really bothers me that now it seems that anyone who gets their hands on a camera is able to create photography. I have finally found an art that I (have been told) am good at. I happen to use a manual camera...no it doesn’t even have a M function...that’s all it is. Now none of this is to say that people who use Photoshop and Programmable cameras have no talent...because for the most part they do. There is even a lot of talent in digital. However my dad just bought a D70 and he’s telling me all the things that it can do...some of them almost feel like cheating to me...I don’t really know these are just my feelings and I truly hope I don’t hurt anyone else’s.

-Zac

ZacKrohn said:
hmm...I must have not seen the other thread. Rebel my comment was not really directed towards your photo or you in anyway. I would like to rebut but in the most friendly of ways. I fully admit I have not yet learned darkroom. However, my guess is that it takes more talent and skill then Photoshop. Most of what I have learned from Photoshop I have learned by just playing around. It really bothers me that now it seems that anyone who gets their hands on a camera is able to create photography. I have finally found an art that I (have been told) am good at. I happen to use a manual camera...no it doesn’t even have a M function...that’s all it is. Now none of this is to say that people who use Photoshop and Programmable cameras have no talent...because for the most part they do. There is even a lot of talent in digital. However my dad just bought a D70 and he’s telling me all the things that it can do...some of them almost feel like cheating to me...I don’t really know these are just my feelings and I truly hope I don’t hurt anyone else’s.

-Zac

Zac, I appreciate your honesty. You're probably more honest than you've realized. Because, in the "between lines" of the comment quoted above lies the crux of the problem. Search your own mindset on this issue and be honest with yourself......

Are you really a purist or are you rationalizing and trying to create a level playing field that your limited talents will fit into? As good as you are with that manual camera, there could be no limit to what you could achieve once you accept the modern technology. The automatic buttons on our cameras today are merely technical devices that are shortcuts to achieve the same goal as can be produced by a talented manual-only shooter. It isn't going to matter that the picture is pure and unchanged from the moment of shutter release if it isn't beautiful. I think the end justifies the means.

I submit my pictures for comments on how to make them better and more interresting and I often get sarcasm for not being fair and for not using the same tools as everyone else. I don't care how you achieved your final output. I'm interrested in a view as it was viewed through someone else's own eyes. How did it move them, how did it talk to them, what is in it that made it worth their while to capture and save it.

Wow, I can see how canonrebel interpreted my post as he did, he must get this all the time :cry:
I want to make it clear that personally I don't care whether canonrebel likes or dislikes "digital art" or anything else, I think that's his business and his business alone. Everyone has a passion for something, we can't all like everything equally, and that's really not a reason for conflict.

LaFoto said:
Would you maybe care to help me with the odd photo of mine, Rebel?

LaFoto, I am flattered that you would ask. I am always "happiest when I'm helping". Even my critiques reveal this about me. I never ever ridicule-I only offer alternative solutions and or advice rather than critiques.

I would consider it a privilege to help you, either by doing it for you, or by offering advise and instruction on how to do it, or by any means posible to help you in the development of your artistic persuit.

Email me if you need to or even if you just want to. Send an example of a jpg,pds,tiff, or any format you choose. give me directions on what you want done with it. I will process it and record the processing steps for you.

[email protected]

Cheers

I cant believe were going to go thru this again. I didnt comment on the last thread that got way out of hand, but I am going to comment on this one. Cannon did say it was a manipulation. The thing with photography is that its so subjective, what one person likes may not be what the other person likes. Im not a fan of heavy manipulation, but I like the fact that he adjusted the sky in this shot, because to ME I feel like the shot now has something that I felt like it lacked in the original.

Thats it :D Now you all have a nice day :lol:

Most reactions

Back