The most boring type of photo to look at, for me, is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Hertz, I stick to my original answer: even if it is very well-done car photography, perfect lighting, POV, angle, focus, in other words: even if I can SEE that it is a GOOD PHOTO (as such), I am still bored with car photography.

Which doesn't mean I were unable to appreciate which one's good and which one's bad. So yes, it is very much the subject matter that makes me open up threads here (which is where I see most of the photos I see these days), see it is cars, and close the thread again.

Though I have been surprised by one or two car photos that even grabbed me, and I left a comment saying as much! I guess the posters never knew the height of my praise in that case ;) :greenpbl: !

I hate crappy shots of cars, crappy shots of pets, crappy shots of nature, crappy fisheye skateboarding shots, crappy sunset shots, crappy "xeroxed" on-board flash shots where the photog doesn't know what they're doing.

especially the last one. There's nothing wrong with using on camera flash when the photog knows how to use it, but there's everything wrong with it when it's really obvious.

Though I have been surprised by one or two car photos that even grabbed me, and I left a comment saying as much! I guess the posters never knew the height of my praise in that case ;) :greenpbl: !

The ones that bore me so much are the recent model assembly line cars; there hasn't been a normal production car with any soul for decades now, and slapping some kit junk or paint on it doesn't make it custom, either. Now, a properly restored (or well cared for all original) '68 Charger or similar is a whole different story.

Well, Hertz, I stick to my original answer: even if it is very well-done car photography, perfect lighting, POV, angle, focus, in other words: even if I can SEE that it is a GOOD PHOTO (as such), I am still bored with car photography.

Which doesn't mean I were unable to appreciate which one's good and which one's bad. So yes, it is very much the subject matter that makes me open up threads here (which is where I see most of the photos I see these days), see it is cars, and close the thread again.

At the risk of sounding sexist, I think cars in general are something the male brain is more apt to appreciate.

To me, cars CAN be beautiful. There are few things more beautiful than a 1957 Corvette, but only certain cars IMO can double as a piece of art AND a mode of transport. Only these select few make good photos for me. And to be totally off-topic, I find classic cars (55-65 usually) to be more artistic-looking IMO.

portraits or HDR's that are not by Woodsac

<thread being derailed a little> With regards to subject matter and general tastes, I must say one of the ugliest things we have to look at (I do just now, as I am typing this, and I sometimes do in town, too, in reality) is men in shorts, wearing sandals and socks!!! :pale: In other words, yes, lostprophet's most recent avatar is pure horror to me :greenpbl: </thread being derailed a little>

... is men in shorts, wearing sandals and socks!!! ...

Ahhh, er, ... That's how we identify German tourists in Death Valley. - Sorry.

Many flower pics, your dog or horse, your children, anyone's wedding where I wasn't a participant, yours or anyone else's senior portrait, and in most instances your semi-naked self-portrait.

cars, "portraits" of the girlfriend/wife/kids/pets. and vacation snaps with nothing in it but the people on vacation, in always the same smiling or thumbs-up pose and with some stupid monument rock or fountain in the background.

<thread being derailed a little> With regards to subject matter and general tastes, I must say one of the ugliest things we have to look at (I do just now, as I am typing this, and I sometimes do in town, too, in reality) is men in shorts, wearing sandals and socks!!! :pale: In other words, yes, lostprophet's most recent avatar is pure horror to me :greenpbl: </thread being derailed a little>

I hear this is a German thing...at least they're the ones that invented it.
:greenpbl:

I don't like crappy car photography, pointless series of snapshots, pictures of your kids, flowers, insects, macro, boring landscape photos, animal pictures, did I mention pictures of your kids, and pointless out of focus photos people pass off as art.

Sometimes I think I'm a 60 year old grumpy old man and not a 26 year old photographer.

I guess any type of photography can be uninteresting or ugly if done poorly. Any type of photo done well can be attractive...even *gasp* photos of people's kids.

Aside from "crap" photos (as i think we all cringe to look at, regardless of subject matter) Photo's that even at their best technically still bore me are:
car's. racing cars. your car in your driveway. a 67 something or other. all boring to me. i don't care how well you panned, or how amazing your angle was. still a car to me.

most landscapes. wow, a mountain. wow, a river. doesn't really interest me. I DO like to see some nature shots, like abstract flowers done in amazing light and completely unique composition etc.

Bugs. i don't really care if you got up to within 2 inches of them and have perfect clarity. They still gross me out and I don't want to look up their nostril.

Sunsets- in general, they all look the same.

Studio work, in general. Especially of children. Just not my bag and don't care for it.

What I love-
child photography- doesn't matter ot me that its someone else's kid. I can appreciate it because I love the subject and I *know* the subject. I know its difficulties and the lengths taken to tie every aspect of photography into one hard to get picture. Having a subject that is completely unpredictable, overall undirectable, and on the move constantly is unlike nearly any other subject.

Abstracts- has to really catch my eye, but love em.

Candid people photography. Done well, of course.

Is it the actual photograph that you dislike/find boring - or is it the subject matter?
The two things are not the same, you know.
Quite often people put down a picture purely and simply because they do not like what it is a picture of. This is because when looking at a picture we tend to just see the subject and not actually look at the photo.
Of course, the reverse is true. A lot of people take pictures and think they are good pictures for no other reason than they like what it is a picture of.
To quote Susan Sontag: 'A beautiful picture is a picture of something beautiful'.
Proud parents photograph their children and believe their pictures to be good because they are of their children.
Others look at these pictures and find them un-interesting because they are of the children of strangers.
And so on.
Therefore when looking at a picture and deciding whether you like it or not, you must first be aware of your own attitudes towards the subject matter because it is entirely possible for someone to take a good picture of something that you don't care for and you miss the fact through personal bias.
The same goes when taking pictures.
Only when you know in your own mind the real reasons why you are taking the picture and then making allowances will you begin to take decent pictures. That is to say, don't just take the picture because you like what it is you are photographing - work out what it is that you like (or dislike) about your subject and then try to show others what you see through your photograph.

Personally I don't dislike any photograph or subject, even though I have seen so many a lot all look the same. I try to stay neutral and keep an open mind ;)

There is a certain balence to be achieved here, one I am falling short on, likely explaining my lack of interest in my own photos. Trying to shoot for others is also destine to failure. Something I am steadily learning given the few of mine that have gone over well.

Another one that is boring to me is those generic pretty girl in a dress "model shots" and fashion shots. OMG, if I see one more girl sprayed with a hose trying to look sexy I might just quite using the internet all together

Another one that is boring to me is those generic pretty girl in a dress "model shots" and fashion shots. OMG, if I see one more girl sprayed with a hose trying to look sexy I might just quite using the internet all together

... you may as well unplug your modem...they aint goin nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back