The most meaningful photo of my life.. The moment I proposed to my girlfriend

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! I haven't been on here in a while. Hope everyone is holding up well during COVID.

While I may be too busy to get on regularly right now or take many photos, I thought this one was worth sharing... especially since we could all use positive news right now. The photo below is of my girlfriend and I at the moment I proposed to her in front of Taughannock Falls in Ithaca, NY last week. Additional info below for those who are interested.

The Backstory: We'd been dating for 18 months at this point, and we both knew that marriage was in our future. She had absolutely no idea that I was planning to propose. She'd used to me being a photography nerd, and therefore she's used to getting up early and tagging along on my landscape shoots. She's also used to me wanting cool photos of us, so me setting a camera up pointed at us in a cool spot was nothing new. Last Wednesday I dragged her out of bed around 5am and we headed to this spot for an early morning photo. She was half asleep and less than thrilled when I made her stand up on this retaining wall to appear in a photo, but she quickly woke up when I pulled the ring out.

Technical Details: Shot on Fuji X-T3 with the 55-200. Normally when doing self portraits I use the intervalometer, but for this occasion I shot 4k video and this is actually a screen grab. I had her stand up there first and manually focused on her before joining her in frame. I intentionally wore the orange jacket and placed us in the center of the white waterfall to draw attention to us as subjects.

Disclaimer: This is not a dangerous spot. The waterfall is >100 feet behind us and it's only about a 5 foot drop off the other side of the wall to solid ground. Please do not attempt to obtain photos of this style if it is not safe to do so!

The most important part? SHE SAID YES. Which makes this simultaneously the most meaningful photo I've ever taken or appeared in, at least in my opinion. Needless to say I'll be ordering a large print of this to put on the wall.

49773862878_6de7851d55_h.jpg

Great backdrop for a proposal. Makes a dramatic photo! Congrats!

Last edited:
Ummm, why is the a giant crack right under you !!!! :eek:
... ah, you got down on your knee so solidly that you split the Earth !!!

Congrats! Nice shot, great moment! Wishing you a long happy life together.

Congrats! Really well done.

Heartwarming! Thanks for sharing. And congratulations!

great shot. Congratulations!

congratulations....... so very very romantic and exciting... lots of lots of happiness.

Most reactions

Back