The Narrows in Zion - C&C

mosu84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hiked through "The Narrows" in Zion National Park today. With several hundred foot walls on each side, the light was pretty tough. Here is one of my shots for C&C

37894055479781109a18.jpg

Last edited:
That is quite nice! Did you have to set your tripod up in the water for this shot?

The lighting works well for me; you were able to retain detail in the dark righthandside rock instead of a big black blob. The composition seems slightly off, though. I would have composed it by moving the camera frame slightly to the left and slightly up. Also, (personal preference here) I would have chosen a longer shutter speed to blur the water a tad more. This might not have been possible, though. What f/stop were you using?

I like this image a lot. It looks solid compositionally, and I like the colors... nice exposure.

But, I am not sure the dimensions of the picture are ideal for this shot. I would LOVE to see this shot as a long vertical (dare I say, panoramic).

Thank you for sharing!

Last edited:
That is quite nice! Did you have to set your tripod up in the water for this shot?

The lighting works well for me; you were able to retain detail in the dark righthandside rock instead of a big black blob. The composition seems slightly off, though. I would have composed it by moving the camera frame slightly to the left and slightly up. Also, (personal preference here) I would have chosen a longer shutter speed to blur the water a tad more. This might not have been possible, though. What f/stop were you using?

Thanks. I agree, the composition is the most disappointing part of the shot. My tripod was indeed set up in the water, and it got quite a bit deeper to my left. There was more to the top of this picture, but i cropped it out because it was quite bright near the top of the canyon. This was taken at f/16 for 1 second

Last edited:
I would LOVE to see this shot as a long vertical (dare I say, panoramic).

Oooo, I second that!

Nice shot, I can't see anything I would change.

Here's another shot

3789723339_c579b1f949_b.jpg

I think I like this one better

Here's my shot of the Narrows when I was there in May. Sigh.

narrows.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back