The National Guard wants to buy a picture from me and I dont know what to do!

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I just got an email from The Director of Communications from the National Guard's magazine, including contact info like phone numbers etc.. seems legit enough to me.

He's asking if I would be interested in selling one of my shots of the Nat'l guard F15's. Yay :)
Now when I give him a call, I know I need to talk about rights to the images, etc, but I have no idea how much one of these shots is worth, nobody ever buys my pictures :confused:

Here are the two F-15 shots I got, and the rest of the airshow is on my Flickr page.

If anyone could nudge me in the right direction, that would be great, thanks! :)

2750780231_47eaae9a1d_o.jpg

2750780073_4cfa77e3f9_o.jpg

The Fed tends to have deep pockets, though I wouldn't push it too much. You aren't exactly a military contractor. I would probably sell them an unlimited usage license for some relatively arbitrary fee.

To give you some semblance of guidance, a 14mb royalty-free photo of an F-15 sells through Corbis for $110-$230, and a 2mb photo sells for $60-$100.

Hope that helps.

Not really helpful, but great shots btw!

Great captures! I wish I could help with the pricing thing, but maybe you can tell me one thing.....Where did they see the picture so they could contact you?

Well the Pentagon spent 80K on toilet seats for aircraft so, Base your price on that scale.
Actually I have no idea what to charge. Maybe $500 per image to start. For unlimited or maybe double for unlimited usage and, you want them to credit your with it when used.

Establish the usage rights; assuming it's just for publication in the magazine, than I think Alpha's guidline based on stock prices is a good one. Make sure you get a full name photo-credit. If they want to do more than simply publish the image in one edition of a magazine, aske them for all the details, where it will be used, how large, how many, etc, and negotiate from there.

Don't get too caught up in the "Oh, the Federal Government wants to buy something from me, they have lots of money" syndrome. I'm guessing that a periodical of this nature is probably only partly government funded at best, and it's unlikely that the photo editor has especially deep pockets.

Good luck!

Trade for open access to photograph some stuff noone else has gotten to see yet, like just a month before it becomes public, that with a years worth of backstage passes should be better then any amount of money.

Wow you're going to make some big bucks on those pictures! :)
Lucky you! ;)
I would say $350? Start at a ridicolous amount and then put it down a little and see what you could get. If you start at $100 they might push you to $75... if you start at $250 they might push you down to $215. See what I mean? youll still get $215, I'd be happy, there would be a new lens for me!

Thanks a bunch for the reply's, i'll give them a call today, again thanksamillion! :)

Well, they bought the picture of the F-15 pulling up for $200 for single use with credit Woot!!!

Thanks a bunch for the guidance, it helped a TON!

They did throw out a number first and I was able to talk them up to $200 from $175. Alpha pretty much nailed it, because they mentioned stock agencies too.

Nice work man. Keep us posted on your future dealings. Provides some helpful info.

Congrats!
BTW- what camera and lens was this with, ISO, etc.?

Nice work! Glad you were able to work something out with them..I like what you did with feeling them out first.

A couple people have mentioned starting high. Depends if they want YOUR pic or A pic. Also probably depends if they're the government or not. In some times like this, a buyer will want A pic, and will have a few photos they're looking into. Don't try too high of a price or you'll lose them from the start. Feel them out first like Sw1tch did. Chances are, you can talk them up.

Most reactions

Back