The need for medium format?

Go for large format, you can easily pick up a decent 4x5, with at least 1 lens and holders for around $500. Like most I started with 35mm, skipped MF and went straight to LF, then to 8x10 and a 12x20, use the last two exclusively. Unless you plan on doing commericial work, then most likely you will end up going digital, mostly for business reasons.

ajmall said:
is the only difference between mf and lf the size of prints/negs?
no... in large format you have really narrow DOF and you play with movements, so you can make lines converge, diverge and do all kinds of weird stuff like shift the plane of focus whichever way you want it.

I have shot 35mm since 1971. Nikon FTN and a few others. Five years ago I switched to Medium Format, which I hadn't used since my college days, and I have not looked back. Originally I picked up a Mamiya m645 which is an older MF camera, cheap on eBay, and got used to the weight and the lenses AND the 120/220 film. Nothing quite like this format outside of a view camera. Recently I bought an almost new Mamiya RB67 Professional SD. It takes the crispest and clearest negs and makes equal quality prints. Personally, if you can afford it (about $400.00 for the m645 and a few accessories), I would suggest you get one and incorporate it in your shooting. You will also need a very sturdy tripod as these cameras get heavy after a couple hours. What ever you decide, best of luck.

Depth of field is not narrowed at all with LF gear, infact it is the opposite. One should be able to get nearly everything in focus with the shutter wide open with the use of movements before stopping down to bring everything in focus, tack sharp with a huge depth of field.

Most reactions

Back