The new Nikon 200-500 f5.6

Vtec44

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.jamestangphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is anyone getting it? I'm so tempted to get it even though I will rarely use it in my line of work. :eek:

Vtec44 said:
Is anyone getting it? I'm so tempted to get it even though I will rarely use it in my line of work. :eek:

I tell ya...I was at ProPhoto Supply today, and I looked at a couple of Nikon lenses...one made originally during the Kennedy era, the other released within the last few months, the new Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF E lens... PF for phase fresnel, the E for the electronically-actuated lens diaphragm. Because of the length-saving phase fresnel system, this lens is **incredibly** short for a 300mm lens, and it is also exceptionally light, and skinny in the back 3/4 of the barrel. On the D810, this lens has almost perfect balance in the hands. Length is shorter than the 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S lens. It is "about" the same size as Canon or Nikon's 135mm f/2 lens. It has VR, as well as the newer Sport VR option. Focusing is almost silent.

This thing is the lightest, shortest, most-compact 300mm lens ever made. I picked this up, and have to say, this is **the** most-attractive, and most-compelling new Nikkor lens design in maybe 20 years. This lens utterly redefines what a 300mm prime lens can be. It could easily be carried in the water bottle pouch of either of my favorite camera waist packs.

Once you see and handle this lens, you will be amazed by what Nikon has done with this new 300mm f/4 PF-E lens design. You simply MUST see and handle this lens to appreciate how small it is! AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f 4E PF ED VR Interchangeable Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras

Who cares. Just imagine how pretty it would look in your bag. How all your other lenses would be sitting there thinking, holy crap. We better get our act together or were going to get sold off!

Lol

i've been meaning to get up close and impersonal with many subjects. I dont have a super telephoto but this may well be the one i'm getting depending on how it compares to the sigma line.

I hope to. I obviously will wait for reviews but if it performs similar to the sigma or tamron 150-600 in its shared focal length I think I will.

Vtec44 said:

I tell ya...I was at ProPhoto Supply today, and I looked at a couple of Nikon lenses...one made originally during the Kennedy era, the other released within the last few months, the new Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF E lens... PF for phase fresnel, the E for the electronically-actuated lens diaphragm. Because of the length-saving phase fresnel system, this lens is **incredibly** short for a 300mm lens, and it is also exceptionally light, and skinny in the back 3/4 of the barrel. On the D810, this lens has almost perfect balance in the hands. Length is shorter than the 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S lens. It is "about" the same size as Canon or Nikon's 135mm f/2 lens. It has VR, as well as the newer Sport VR option. Focusing is almost silent.

This thing is the lightest, shortest, most-compact 300mm lens ever made. I picked this up, and have to say, this is **the** most-attractive, and most-compelling new Nikkor lens design in maybe 20 years. This lens utterly redefines what a 300mm prime lens can be. It could easily be carried in the water bottle pouch of either of my favorite camera waist packs.

Once you see and handle this lens, you will be amazed by what Nikon has done with this new 300mm f/4 PF-E lens design. You simply MUST see and handle this lens to appreciate how small it is! AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f 4E PF ED VR Interchangeable Lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras

I went out shooting with a friend today who recently bought a 300mm f2.8 vr lens, one which I thought from the internet would be a dream, and performance and quality wise it is, but it's weight would be a nightmare for me, I wouldn't enjoy it.

He's a birder mostly and uses tc etc, but said the 300 f4 pf was rubbish with ghosting if shot in the direction of light.

I didn't know this but take him at his word, he's fairly experienced with this type of set up

Vtec44 said:

The phase fresnel technology certainly is going to change lenses the way we know it today ... making them much more compact and overall better image from what I've read. and cost more too !!

The phase fresnel technology certainly is going to change lenses the way we know it today ... making them much more compact and overall better image from what I've read. and cost more too !!

Biggest benefit for folks like me at least is that when they do come out with the brand spanking new stuff people start selling off there old stuff and the resell prices on it all goes down.

While my camera budget has increased significantly from when I started, I still can't justify spending 2 grand on a lens. A super spiffy amazing fantastic lens, to be sure... but wow.. 2 grand.. yikes. Lol

Yes, the 300 PF-E can flare oddly when certain bright light sources hit the front element in certain ways...same with hundreds of lens designs.
But this lens is a **revolutionary** design. Nikon 300mm f 4 PF VR Review

And look at how well it performs, even including a sunset shot aimed right at the setting sun, unobscured by clouds. it also focuses exceptionally close for a 300mm lens, 1.4 meters, and gives maximum magnification of 0.24x.Nikon 300mm f 4E PF ED VR Image Samples

Not sure about people whining about the price. Nikon's best lenses are costly, but then, they only last for 35 to 50 years...and people are now regularly shooting these lenses on $3,200 Nikon bodies, sometimes even a pair of such bodies.

Look at the Photography Life web samples, and see what amazing images this lens can make in social photography/people photography situations. Again...until a person has actually picked this lens up and handled it, it is impossible to imagine just how LITTLE it weighs, and how SMALL it is: the 300 PF-E weighs 755 grams! The "light" 300/4 AF-S weighs 1440 grams. The Nikon 200-500 is 2,300 grams. A 70-200/2.8 VR-2 weighs 1,540 grams. The common 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 VR weighs 745 grams. The Tamron 150-600 is 1,950 grams.

Yes, the 300 PF-E can flare oddly when certain bright light sources hit the front element in certain ways...same with hundreds of lens designs.
But this lens is a **revolutionary** design. Nikon 300mm f 4 PF VR Review

And look at how well it performs, even including a sunset shot aimed right at the setting sun, unobscured by clouds. it also focuses exceptionally close for a 300mm lens, 1.4 meters, and gives maximum magnification of 0.24x.Nikon 300mm f 4E PF ED VR Image Samples

Not sure about people whining about the price. Nikon's best lenses are costly, but then, they only last for 35 to 50 years...and people are now regularly shooting these lenses on $3,200 Nikon bodies, sometimes even a pair of such bodies.

Look at the Photography Life web samples, and see what amazing images this lens can make in social photography/people photography situations. Again...until a person has actually picked this lens up and handled it, it is impossible to imagine just how LITTLE it weighs, and how SMALL it is: the 300 PF-E weighs 755 grams! The "light" 300/4 AF-S weighs 1440 grams. The Nikon 200-500 is 2,300 grams. A 70-200/2.8 VR-2 weighs 1,540 grams. The common 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 VR weighs 745 grams. The Tamron 150-600 is 1,950 grams.

Yup.. sure it's a super spectacular amazing lens that is worth every single penny that they are asking for it.

Still doesn't change the fact that I don't have $2000 to spend on a lens. I also don't have $2000 to spend on a vacation to Disney World. Nothing whiny about that, just a fact of life.

Still I can be happy it was released, because it drops the prices in the used market for lenses I can afford. So win win as far as I'm concerned.

can we whine that it's not a f/1.4 lens, and not under $600 USD ?
:)

it would be tempting to get ... if it was affordable to me. So until then ...

The good thing about having a business is that I can get whatever lenses I want for the business. The bad thing about having a business is making that business distinction between business needs and personal wants. LOL

The good thing about having a business is that I can get whatever lenses I want for the business. The bad thing about having a business is making that business distinction between business needs and personal wants. LOL
Always the rub I suppose, lol. I really enjoy photography as a hobby, but as a hobbiest I have to consider what's reasonable for my budget. I also have to consider the cost vrs benefit ratio when I'm looking at spending that kind of money.

But I am always happy to see new gear, even the stuff that isn't cost effective for me, hit the market. Helps with the prices on the stuff I can afford.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Always the rub I suppose, lol. I really enjoy photography as a hobby, but as a hobbiest I have to consider what's reasonable for my budget. I also have to consider the cost vrs benefit ratio when I'm looking at spending that kind of money.

But I am always happy to see new gear, even the stuff that isn't cost effective for me, hit the market. Helps with the prices on the stuff I can afford.

Just pointing out the difference in the decision making process :D

It's different when it's a hobby, because you're not getting back the money you put in. For a business, it's a business investment in tools, and we will mostly make it back within a certain amount of time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back