The newbie has a question!

mojoses

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Um... Ive only just stumbled over this forum and I have a question already (sorry if it's already been asked before) :?

How did you all get into photography?

I want to be a photographer but I don't quite know how to get started, Iv'e took some photos for my college Induction Pack and will be taking some for a Sixth Form magazine...

Do you recomend Uni??

Thankies
:D

How did I get started? I dunno really. Just felt like it.

I think it appeals to my hidden arty side which can't draw a straight line to save its life. I find holding a camera a lot easier than holding a paintbrush.

Oh look, another person from the UK! :mrgreen:

I've got two puppies so they take up a lot of the film/memory cards. Other than that, I like macro work. I'm a big fan of reversed lenses. I don't resrtict myself though. I take whatever I'm in the mood for. :)

What about you? If you're going to hang around here for a while, how about making an introduction post? :)

umm... introduction post!?

To be honest the only things I've taken photo's of are family and events!! I don't know why but a few months ago I just suddenly had the urge to be a photographer lol

I guess I want to be able to take photo's of anything but maybe focus on emotions or something like that.

You want to be a photographer. That says a lot about you already ;-)
And my powers of deduction lead me to believe you are studying A-Levels (unless you're doing re-takes). My agent's are tracking you down as I speak....

Just don't get me started on how to get into Photography in the UK. If you really insist use my PM box - middle button just below here.

Well mate....or matess, Im about your age, and studying A-Levels myself.

I got into photography, because, I had the same feeling as you, and its stuck.

I suggest, try and do AS photography, thatll help you alot.

Just go out on walking your dog or something and bring your camera, youll learn alot that way.

Finally! someone my age! YAY! wel...almost...

I don't have a dog lol Do you think my cats would go!?

I've been looking at uni courses and theres only one that looks remotely interesting, I just want to be more hands on with what I do.

I moght need a decent camers first :eek:q hehe

mojoses said:
How did you all get into photography?

I built a pinhole camera, and shot some photos as a child, but mostly I was into drawing, printmaking, and sculpture. My mom bought me a 35mm SLR for high school graduation, but I barely ever used it. I drew a lot of comics, some on the computer. In the mid-nineties digital photography was just oozing out of the primordial soup, and I was excited about image manipulation of photographs and using it to make my comics. So I spent as much as a new, top of the line Canon DSLR on one of Kodak's very first digital cameras, and the computer that could handle it; today you can get a much higher quality digi-cam for $30 at Walmart.

And I started taking pictures. They sucked. So I started researching famous and not so famous photographers and looking at their stuff. The obssession began, and the next thing you know, it's 10 years later, and my house is filled with towering stacks of prints, contact sheets, negs, and cameras. My bank account has been empty for a long time. :crazy:

I've been studying art for over 26years and photography finally worked it way to the top like a zit. I squeezed, it poppit...still cleaning up after the whole mess. :wink: Welcome to the board.

Nothing artistic about me whatsoever but I wanted to capture images that please me.
I started with a digital and progressed to a better digital but I have also acquired a film camera and use it occasionally.
Patience is not my chief virtue (incredible understatement!) and I believe that I would never have started in photography if it wasn't for digital cameras but I've certainly got the bug now!
Good luck to you and your efforts!

mojoses said:
What sort of photos do you enjoy taking the most or do you like a range of things?

I'll try my hand at anything, but mostly I shoot BW film. I've always enjoyed being outdoors in the country, so I do a lot of natural and rural landscape photography. People are always interesting so I like portraits.

I am fascinated by the documentary ability of photography so I like taking photos of places and people just doing what they do, whether it's at home, work, playing in a band, or when I'm just walking around. It can be like street photography, but that genre seems so metropolitan, and I'm out here in Kansas. It's gravel road photography.

It's photo history; I worry about all the wonderful sights I've seen that are no longer around that I didn't get to photograph. I worry about the ones I'm missing right now.

I think most folks have better results photographing subjects that interest them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back