The Nikon 1

My only complaint is that it seems the camera companies are still trying to decide how good they let these mirrorless cameras be;....
I really don't see that as an issue. In my short time in this realm of gear, it appears there is a concerted effort for the main contenders (Oly & Panny) are doing their due diligence to see this format to become a standad format of option.

My complaint is the lens options on offer. At the moment there are three prime lenses that have sparked a great deal of interest from users. The Oly 45mm f/1.8, 12mm f/2.0 and the Panny/Leica 25mm f/1.4. The problem is distribution to vendors. The people in this format are chomping at the bit for quality glass. The primes are being addressed, but the zooms are severly sucking hind tit. Most are very slow and all of my research have only found (slow) varibale apertures. The problem IMO is that if a f/2.8 constant zoom is designed, it will defeat the premise of the m43 format.... size. However, I believe technology will march onwards and eventually a resonable alternative will surface.

Speaking of micro 43 primes... My used ebay mint Panny 20mm f1.7 just arrived. It was a splurge driven by GAS. It should compliment my 14mm and adapted 50mm quite nicely.

I still think m4/3rds is the best option in general.

It's the Goldilocks system:
Not too big (NEX, NX)
Not too small (Pentax Q)
Bright lenses (12/2, 14/2.5, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/1.8)
the most pancake lenses (14, 20, 14-42X)
the most lenses in general (use of both panasonic and olympus optics)
small bodies (E-PM1, GF3)
big bodies (GH2, G3)

NEX has lenses that are way too big, or are optical garbage
Samsung NX is...well it's samsung..
Pentax blew it with lousy design
Nikon i think will be in the same position as Pentax

m4/3rds is right in the middle of all that.

It seems that's a good explanation.... The FF DSLR is the new medium sized format while the m4/3 is the right small format for digital with MF digitals taking place where large format sat.

This guy seems to agree:

The Online Photographer: Micro 4/3 is the Big Kahuna

We'll have to see...

I think more people should actually read and understand the m4/3 format before they thumb their noses at it. It is a viable option in both forward and rearward motions. People wanting to upgrade from a P&S or those that need a good, but smaller alternative...... even as a second body backup that can also be used as the "little fun camera" for those not-so-serious engagements.

Is it possible that Nikon increase the sensor size without changing the Nikon 1 Lens system?

Yeah, I'm iffy with the Nikon announcement. Nothing jumped out at me as stellar, must have. The choice of sensor size is kinda wierd. The AF seems tantalizing. It seems a bit too little, too late though...but at least they're in the game. As far as M4/3, I like the PEN I have and the shear amount of lenses available, but really like Sony's IQ on my NEX-3. Debating on the Zeiss prime that is scheduled to be released. The specs on the NEX-7 are tempting, but I can't justify splurging on it. I only use my micro systems when I go out and do not want to haul DSLR around. I don't consider micro systems DSLR killers or game changers, but they definitely have their niche.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back