Reaction score
Edit to post better pics.
37121-1508277246-1979f385fd50912e5f3225ed2f68af2d.jpg

The winder works as advertised.

37120-1508277238-79b11d7cdaff0cb8b7c80937e81146f7.jpg

Goo on lens is gone now.

37122-1508277255-b213f6efc36fa08d2d350105be480b83.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! Missing the screw-in viewfinder cover? Still, a minor quibble. The FA won the European Camera Grand Prix award, as I recall...which was awarded to the best new camera of its introductory year--and the FA was the camera that was the first to feature what Nikon named "Matrix" metering! The FA was, as I recall, the first Nikon that could use the "Ai speed notch" that Nikon had premiered a few years earlier on its Ai-S lenses, in anticipation of the FA's release some time later. (In Nikon-speak the Ai-S nomenclature is represented thusly: the Ai is for Automatic aperture Indexing and S is "Speed notch".

I had the AF version of the 35-70mm f/3.3~4.5 zoom lens: I always loved how compact that lens is!

Looks good! Missing the screw-in viewfinder cover? Still, a minor quibble. The FA won the European Camera Grande Prix award, as I recall...which was awarded to the best new camera of its introductory year--and the FA was the camera that was the first to feature what Nikon named "Matrix" metering! it was also the first Nikon that could use the "ai speed notch" that Nikon had premiered earlier on its lenses, in anticipation of the FA's release some time later.

I actually have a Nikon round eyecup somewhere. The good thing is the threads are not beat up on the finder. Not sure if it will fit the FA. I wanted an FA bad in High School but could not afford one. Was using parents Minolta X370 at the time.

Ohhhh, I recall the X370 very well! I had an FM which was my first Nikon, then an F Photomic FTN, and FE-2, then an FE, and finally an FM-2(n). I've never owned an FA...but it sure did create a lot of buzz back when it was new.

The glass eyepiece can help keep dust from getting into the prism or viewfinder screen area.

The small-body Nikons FM/FE/FA were really some of the nicer cameras of their era, for those who wanted a good-shooting Nikon.

The FA offered PSAM...which for its era was fairly uncommon. Programmed Auto! Shutter-priority automatic--in a Nikon! Aperture priority, and of course Manual. Seems kind of pedestrian these days, but PSAM was very much a step up from the Nikons of that and of earlier eras.

Congratulations, that's a beauty! The viewfinder rings are available on eBay fairly reasonably. I had to get one for my FE.

Bought a black FA from a Japanese seller last month, including the MD-15. Shooting film now to test out along with newly acquired FE2 and FE.

Ohhhh, I recall the X370 very well! I had an FM which was my first Nikon, then an F Photomic FTN, and FE-2, then an FE, and finally an FM-2(n). I've never owned an FA...but it sure did create a lot of buzz back when it was new.

The glass eyepiece can help keep dust from getting into the prism or viewfinder screen area.

The small-body Nikons FM/FE/FA were really some of the nicer cameras of their era, for those who wanted a good-shooting Nikon.

The FA offered PSAM...which for its era was fairly uncommon. Programmed Auto! Shutter-priority automatic--in a Nikon! Aperture priority, and of course Manual. Seems kind of pedestrian these days, but PSAM was very much a step up from the Nikons of that and of earlier eras.

I had FM or FE for first owned Nikon. I know my Nikormat was the 2nd Nikon body. I picked up the other FM/FE soon after it. Also picked up several Minoltas in that near same time period (X700, XG-M, SRT202). Hahaha, by the time I was out of college my net worth was in camera gear and stereo equipment. Stereo equipment is long gone. But the camera gear is still around. Most of it anyway. I was always on the lookout for gear. And when the AF stuff started coming out. People were letting their old MF stuff go for pennies. Lot of it was right time right place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back