The old homestead - color or black/white?

I like that the color of the rust is echoed in the color of the flowers below those windows, and that there is blue in the textures of the house. So there is a lot going on in the color version which appeals to me. I think the darkest tones in the color version are just as blocked as in the b/w version.

There is also a plethora of texture which lends itself to the mono version. That the blacks are blocked in the trees doesn't bother me at all. I'd like for the blacks in those big windows to be a bit less dark so that there would be a hint of something inside to lend some mystery.

I think this sums up what I have been thinking.

Fascinating that there's a no concensus in our opinions - I thought the vote would be a walk-over for the color version (the rusted roof and the separation of shadows from leaves made it for me), so was interesting to read the counter views. Nice shot either way.

Maybe both are lacking in different ways and why neither stood out?

I hope to go back to this area and reshoot. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I like that the color of the rust is echoed in the color of the flowers below those windows, and that there is blue in the textures of the house. So there is a lot going on in the color version which appeals to me. I think the darkest tones in the color version are just as blocked as in the b/w version.

There is also a plethora of texture which lends itself to the mono version. That the blacks are blocked in the trees doesn't bother me at all. I'd like for the blacks in those big windows to be a bit less dark so that there would be a hint of something inside to lend some mystery.

I think this was a difficult exposure to catch Cheryl. Deep dark shadows within those windows and brightness glaring from that roof!
Tripod and bracketing would be the answer, but of course, I wouldn't have had one with me.
I think your choice of exposure to avoid blowing the highlights was the best option. I don't know if there was really enough data in the image file to lift those dark shadows. I have to make choices like this in our strong southwest sun and when I try to lift the shadows, sometimes the result is a batch of noise.

I think this was a difficult exposure to catch Cheryl. Deep dark shadows within those windows and brightness glaring from that roof!
Tripod and bracketing would be the answer, but of course, I wouldn't have had one with me.
I think your choice of exposure to avoid blowing the highlights was the best option. I don't know if there was really enough data in the image file to lift those dark shadows. I have to make choices like this in our strong southwest sun and when I try to lift the shadows, sometimes the result is a batch of noise.

Funny I did take bracketed shots that week. Don't think I did with the house. The Fuji XT-4 does bracketed handheld no problem. Very fast. Plus it helps to hold your breath. I would have liked to get closer and taken shots of the center windows only with the curtains and dead flowers below. Old houses and landscapes are not my strong suit so all the comments help. Thanks!

I like the black and white and think that the Sepia toned image looks great, and solves the roof color issue. My one nit-pick here is that in the OP black and white, the highlights (particularly on the roof) are pretty blown-out and need to be a lower value, so that the detail shows.

Most reactions

Back