The one that got away, aka, Always Carry A Camera!

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've really been getting (back) into photography, with more of an emphasis on really honing my skills and learning the technical side of things. I live less than a mile from where I work, so I just walk it every day. Most of the walk is through woods, then a final little stretch down a paved road.

On my way out the door this morning, I thought to myself, "Maybe I should take my camera, I might find something I want to shoot." But then I talked myself out of it, for some reason.

Well, sure enough, I came across a scene that would've made a pretty wonderful picture. A momma dog and her two pups came out to greet me on the driveway, and as I was walking away, I looked back and they were sitting there, almost perfectly symmetric with the mother in the middle, a jet black puppy on either side of her, framed by the misty forest and the damp gravel road. My description can't do it justice, and unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me!

Chalk it up to a learning experience I suppose.

Does anyone else have any stories like that, the one that got away?

Thanks for reading!

:lol: It is frustrating!

I was at a red light once, an SUV was next to me. A beautiful siberian husky had his head out the back window -- with glistening trails of slobber all over the back of the black SUV. But the light changed before I could get my camera out of the bag :)

I had one this morning on the way to work, down a country lane.

I came around a corner, to be met with a long queue of traffic, which never happens, so I knew something was amiss. So I filtered to the front, only to find about 200 cows in the middle of the road, slowly being herded into the field.

Everything was perfect. Quite dramatic lighting with a low sun just in the frame, great positioning of the quiet hidden entrance to the field, an interesting subject, and one cow stopped to the left glaring at me.

I really wished I had my camera, but I wouldn't have had time to set up and get the shot if I did anyway :(

It has happened so many times to me (I'm not always in places I want my camera bag in the car) that I've taken to stuffing my little Nikon Coolpix L5 in my pocket for emergencies.

A momma dog and her two pups came out to greet me on the driveway, and as I was walking away, I looked back and they were sitting there, almost perfectly symmetric with the mother in the middle, a jet black puppy on either side of her, framed by the misty forest and the damp gravel road

Sounds cool, got a pic? :mrgreen:

Jon

yah happend to me a lot - either no camera, batteries drained or it took too long to get out of the bag (in many of those cases I now guess at the time the sight will be their and if I think its too short I just look at the sight rather than the inside of my bag ;))
I have thought about a small point and shoot as well just for all those occasions where you want a quick shot - though I have since changed my idea to aiming for a bridge camera 0 that way I can alter the settings and not have to search through 50 odd presets to get the settings I want.

Just today.

I'm into flight simming on the computer and RC flying. When I hear a plane, 9 times out of 10, I stop what I'm doing and look up in the sky. Around the house, I can recognize some of the turbo props that fly past all the time, which allows me not to bother looking.

I was up on the ladder today, working on the house. I hear 2 aircraft coming. I turn around to look, and see 2 small engine planes flying past in perfect formation. Not something I see every day. Where is my camera? It is in the house and I wouldn't be able to grab it in time.

Not long ago, again working on the house (it's a long project) my wife runs to the house to get the kids. She heard a blimp coming. Of course, I'm like a kid as well and run to the house to grab my camera. After all, unlike an airplane, I can beat the blimp, hehehe.

So, I fire up the camera and snap a shot off. I go to look at the shot to check the exposure, etc, and my camera has turned itself off. My camera only displays when the batteries are about 10 seconds from dying. Batteries are dead, so I run into the house. As I stated, I am into RC flying. I have probably 50 AA batteries (my camera uses AA, obviously) sitting around in the enclosed back porch. I'm shoving battery after battery in the camera hoping for a good set. Nope, none, not one good battery that will power the camera for even a second or two.

The blimp story is from a few weeks ago. I just happen to look in my camera bag today as my wife an I are kidless for the night an was going for a ride. There in the camera bag that I had forgotten about were 4 brand new AA batteries that were in there when the blimp flew over. I had no idea they were in there at the time as the bag usually sits in the corner of the kitchen and rarely ever is even picked up.

So I've really been getting (back) into photography, with more of an emphasis on really honing my skills and learning the technical side of things. I live less than a mile from where I work, so I just walk it every day. Most of the walk is through woods, then a final little stretch down a paved road.

On my way out the door this morning, I thought to myself, "Maybe I should take my camera, I might find something I want to shoot." But then I talked myself out of it, for some reason.

Well, sure enough, I came across a scene that would've made a pretty wonderful picture. A momma dog and her two pups came out to greet me on the driveway, and as I was walking away, I looked back and they were sitting there, almost perfectly symmetric with the mother in the middle, a jet black puppy on either side of her, framed by the misty forest and the damp gravel road. My description can't do it justice, and unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me!

Chalk it up to a learning experience I suppose.

Thanks for reading!

Yup, everyday. It a visual sensational reality we live in and for me the visual is one of the strongest and more pleasurable of the senses! I can't step outside or even look around inside, without constantly noticing the beauty of form and color. I have at least two cameras with me at all times. One I even sleep with. It's uses neural storage and playback and has very fast binocular self-cleaning bio-lenses. It's wonderful and with it I never miss a shot that I know about.

I have the other camera for sharing digitally and producing hardcopy tho. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back