The one word I would ban

The one word I would ban from this or any forum is the word 'cool.' I just cringe when a commenter uses the word 'cool' instead of really making some effort to say what the image means in some more understandable way.

Inevitably, I cross this person off my list of people I wuld ever listen to.

I never cease to be amazed by people's reaction to an honest expression of likes and dislikes.

The use of the word 'cool' doesn't give me sleepless nights nor did I equate the use of word 'cool' as equal to multiple puppies being tortured.

Those who want to take me to task for an opinion are taking offense where none is offered.

And yes, I can just disregard a person's opinion for saying 'cool'; in fact, saying 'cool' is a surefire way to make me think "man, is this the highest level of cognition that this person has available? We swim in a sea of words about photography and, when faced with a picture that I think enough of to put out there for people's opinion, all he or she can muster is 'cool.'

When someone says your work is "cool" maybe it's not so much that it's the "highest cognition that person has available." Perhaps it says less about the commenter's intelligence and more about your work. Maybe an encouraging monosyllable is the greatest response your work elicits.

And the fact that you "think enough of it to put it out there for people's opinions," doesn't mean that people will think enough of it to exert any energy toward a constructive response.

Just because you post your work, doesn't mean the people commenting on it owe you anything.

Which isn't to say that your work isn't cool. Though by now, you must know how cool it is. Just don't let it go to your head.

One word I can now add to my TPF vocab is jackass.

I vote for replacing the word "cool" with the word "jackass."

as in,

"It's a little dark on my monitor, but the colors are jackass."

and,

"Jackass shot!"

Personally, I too like some more in depth critique....however, I don't expect every single person that replies to give it. And just saying "Cool" in it's own way, does give me some good information....it tells me that my photo is appealing.

I do as well. If all I got was a response saying "cool" then I would be slightly annoyed. However, speaking only for myself....sometimes I find things simply "cool". Some things strike that one word thought. Sometimes you arent sure what it is.

You have to take the simple comments along with the detailed comments. I would venture to guess that the majority of photos people sale are sold to people that think they look "cool".

I think we should all remember that we are on a Photography forum here, and also that clarity in communication is essential to avoid offense or misunderstanding.
My objection to the use of the word 'cool' in a photo crit has nothing to do with whether I consider the word to be offensive, insulting, passe, kitch, or anything else. It comes purely from a technical view.
In photography the expression 'cool' generally refers to colour and, in particular, colour temperature. So if the word 'cool' is used with regards to a photograph it could be because you think the picture looks 'cool' - or it could be because you think the picture looks 'cool'.
Now let's all go outside and play nicely ;)

This thread is cool.

I'm cool.

This whole forum is cool.

I'm gonna name my first born 'cool'.

'cool bace'.

yeaaaaah.

....cool.

p.s. I like how everyone likes the word cool too. it makes me feel cooler.

This thread is cool.

I'm cool.

This whole forum is cool.

I'm gonna name my first born 'cool'.

'cool bace'.

yeaaaaah.

....cool.

p.s. I like how everyone likes the word cool too. it makes me feel cooler.

So the cold showers are having an effect!

This thread is cool! :lmao:

I think we should all remember that we are on a Photography forum here, and also that clarity in communication is essential to avoid offense or misunderstanding.
My objection to the use of the word 'cool' in a photo crit has nothing to do with whether I consider the word to be offensive, insulting, passe, kitch, or anything else. It comes purely from a technical view.
In photography the expression 'cool' generally refers to colour and, in particular, colour temperature. So if the word 'cool' is used with regards to a photograph it could be because you think the picture looks 'cool' - or it could be because you think the picture looks 'cool'.
Now let's all go outside and play nicely ;)

I like this response the best.

Although I am new to this forum, for every critique I ask for, I make sure I return as much critique. I think that is important.

Many people are probably like me... They are very busy and cannot devote full time to this. I wish I could...

One point I would like to make... I am very impressed with the caliber of people on this forum. It is very refreshing to have so many civilized, polite, professional people on a forum. Maybe this says something about people that are into photography? To me, that is cool!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back