vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
orbital.jpg

You must be practicing before going to Luna Park next weekend, Mark :)
I like the way the ride is the centre of attention for both us and the people in the picture. Just about everyone in the photo is looking at the same thing we are. Not sure how much the people were moving around, but a longer exposure might have looked cool just to show the motion of the ride (tough i know, as it goes up and down also).
Nice shot too.

I have a couple issues, first is it's kind of soft and could use an unsharp mask filter.

Second is it looks like you've been experimenting with dodge and burn. I don't think you pulled it off as successfully as you probably want. Ideally when you look at a photo that's been dodged and burned you don't want to notice or realize that it has been. That's my opinion anyway. If you haven't been D&B-ing, well then, that's just some messed up light! :sillysmi:

Conclusion? It's an alright shot that needs some work, but it's nowhere near the masterpieces usually attached to your name.

A series? I like this one too.

Tuna

jadin said:
I have a couple issues, first is it's kind of soft and could use an unsharp mask filter.

Second is it looks like you've been experimenting with dodge and burn. I don't think you pulled it off as successfully as you probably want. Ideally when you look at a photo that's been dodged and burned you don't want to notice or realize that it has been. That's my opinion anyway. If you haven't been D&B-ing, well then, that's just some messed up light! :sillysmi:

Conclusion? It's an alright shot that needs some work, but it's nowhere near the masterpieces usually attached to your name.

Thank you for your honest replay Jadin :)

1. The size really affected the sharpness here - the large print is quite sharp, when i reduced it for web consumption, the people in the foreground became quite blurry!

2. Dodge and Burn - yes - it definately has been done here. I appreciate your opionion - my purpose was mainly to make it look 'less like a photograph' and more surrealistic than typical - but yes you are right typically when I triy to dodge & burn you try to keep it within the bounds of looking natural. (or in my case push it as much as you can get away with). I probably have overdone it in this case - i didn't spend much time postprocessing in this picture as I have done with others in the past.

Believe it or not, this is actually one my favourites to date, but its also been the case that my favourites aren't nessessarily what other people like! But your critique is very welcome :)

Craig - unfortunately i didn't get a close up of this, but you are on to something. With my wide angle lens i tend to try to get the whole picture - but perhaps it has made me a bit lazy without not try different angles or close ups.

Tuna - I took several shot at the carnival, i just picked a couple of my favourites for critiquing - as the sky suggests - its about to dump buckets of water from above so the photoshooting was cut a bit short!

Lucky - you betcha i am ready for luna park! How i wish I had my tripod, the lighting conditions would have been right for a longer exposure here. Oh well!

Most reactions

Back