The "P word"

I remember when a silver bodied Photomic FTn was considered the "Doctors" camera, but the Black body of the same rig with a lot of brassing on all corners was considered the Pro's workhorse. I guess that dates me a little. As a matter of fact, I remember one of my fellow students of the 60's getting his new Nikon "F" body and promptly sanding all the corners with fine emery cloth. He really thought his images were better for it.

He probably paid an additional $55 – $75 for that black paint... a chunck of change back then. 35mm black bodies were seldom seen.

I bought my first camera in 1970... a Pentax Spotmatic with a 55mm f2.8 lens. I paid $287. That was quite a day for a 16-year-old kid. Nikons were going for around $500 and a Leica SLR was more like $700.

-Pete

I think I have finally formulated an almost 100% accurate acid test to distinguish between 'professional' photographers and the rest.
True professionals never admit to being one, especially on insurance forms and at parties.
Insurance companies (particularly car insurance companies) put anyone with 'professional' in their job description into the highest risk bracket and charge them a fortune.
I always put 'photographic technician' as that put me into one of the lowest brackets and I saw it as just bending the truth, not fibbing.
At parties I usually told people I was a gynaecologist. If you admitted to being a pro photographer then you almost always got pestered by some amateur trying to talk about cameras ("which do you think is best? Nikon or Canon?" and similar wastes of time) and interfering with my drinking.
On the other hand, people who declare themselves loudly to be 'professional photographers' at every opportunity almost certainly aren't (or, if they are, they shouldn't be).
Who are they trying to convince the most? Us? Or themselves?

:lol:

Here's my favorite quote about pros:

"Let me here call attention to one of the most universally popular mistakes that have to do with photography - that of classing supposedly excellent work as professional, and using the term amateur to convey the idea of immature productions and to excuse atrociously poor photographs. As a matter of fact nearly all the greatest work is being, and has always been done, by those who are following photography for the love of it, and not merely for financial reasons. As the name implies, an amateur is one who works for love; and viewed in this light the incorrectness of the popular classification is readily apparent." -Alfred Stieglitz

I think the biggest difference is that pros don't have time to get into threads like this.

Not necessarily, but think about it (this same dichotomy exists in the wonderful world of road bike racing):

You spend eight or more hours a day shooting photos. That doesn't necessarily count the extra time spent editing them. Do you want to come home at the end of the day...and spend time at a forum about your day's work (with C&C and all)?

Add in the wife and/or kids (though some pros don't have either)...no time.

I think I have finally formulated an almost 100% accurate acid test to distinguish between 'professional' photographers and the rest.
True professionals never admit to being one, especially on insurance forms and at parties.
Insurance companies (particularly car insurance companies) put anyone with 'professional' in their job description into the highest risk bracket and charge them a fortune.
I always put 'photographic technician' as that put me into one of the lowest brackets and I saw it as just bending the truth, not fibbing.
At parties I usually told people I was a gynaecologist. If you admitted to being a pro photographer then you almost always got pestered by some amateur trying to talk about cameras ("which do you think is best? Nikon or Canon?" and similar wastes of time) and interfering with my drinking.
On the other hand, people who declare themselves loudly to be 'professional photographers' at every opportunity almost certainly aren't (or, if they are, they shouldn't be).
Who are they trying to convince the most? Us? Or themselves?

:lol:

"Those who know, don't speak, and those who speak, don't know."

...Uncle Bob with the dSLR at the wedding standing in your way, the 16-year old with an XTi for 2 weeks getting $50 for shooting a wedding. The nice lady with good equipment, but no clue where the on button is charging for child and family portraiture...

Holy crap! Did these people move to Canada? I gotta tell ya, I won't miss them a bit.

So how'd that work out for you? Anyone ask you to check out thier wives for free?

Most people would just look uncomfortable and then sidle off, leaving me to get on with the serious task of keeping Russia's economy going.
But there was one woman who had quite clearly been sniffing wine corks and who asked me about a little problem she had.
Fortunately I managed to keep my end of the conversation up (I just knew my first career as a microbiologist would come in handy one day) and even gave her some sensible advice.
My first inclination (which I had a hard time not giving in to) was to ask her to get up on the table and let me take a butchers.
Might have livened the party up...

"PROs" - those who receive an income from their photos, and can get a tax deduction for all the nice equipment they have ... lucky SOBs!!

I once had this "idea" to turn "pro" so I can take a tax deduction for my equipment - accountant told me I can only take deduction from income I make from photos - have not a made a penny from photography, and never intended to. I swear, accountant works for the IRS :( Anyways, I'm back to being a "noob".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back