The Pact

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by manaheim, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Antarctican

Antarctican No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So should we, as members who can police the forum, be correcting the offender and letting them know that such unhelpful/rude comments are not the correct way to comment on someone's pics? I vote yes

2. fwellers

fwellers TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And usually beyond the scope of my abilities. :lol:

3. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I was wondering that myself. I'm thinking if we're going to turn things around a bit, we're going to have to take to the streets and at least give people a friendly reminder here and there. Maybe just even pointing them to the pact. (though maybe not with the guy I so rudely called out as an example of what NOT to do...:lol:)

I mean... if we're "member driven"... right? :lol:

EDIT: There. I posted a hopefully constructive response to the non-constructive response.

hahahahaha...

4. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    There are very few businesses out there that don't listen to their customers and take on board what they are saying - those that don't end up on a long and uncomfortable ride to oblivion - why would TPF be any different?

That said, it's not the Mods who have the say in what direction the forum takes, it's the new owners: Dascrow, 4nines and ekool. By all means contact them directly, they do respond. It's probably fair to say that they don't have the same emotional investment in the forum as its founders, but they still need to see it work. So if any member has concrete proposals on what needs to be changed/updated/developed or whatever else is on people's minds, then I'm sure they will consider it in line with the business strategy they are pursuing - I should point out that neither I nor any of the other Moderators are privy to that. It may be teaching granny, but comments such as "things are not like they used to be" aren't going to travel very far.

5. mooimeisie

mooimeisie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Perhaps a standard reply we can post to someone's reply we feel is totally inappropriate. Something like a "How not to be a @#*&" thread or post.

6. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That's fair and reasonable. Sorry if I'm beating you guys up a little bit. I know you don't have as much control over the situation as some of us think you do... though I didn't know that until this thread came about.

I'm fine with seeing how this pact thing goes as a first step. Who knows, it might be enough.

7. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    It's called the FAQ's. Now if someone can propose a set of succinct amendments to those that deal with the concerns at hand then I (or you) can take those forward for consideration - I'm fairly certain the full text of the pact would need editing down somewhat though.

EDIT: Oh hell, I went and started Page 4 of this... :lol:

8. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would love to say yes too... but thinking logically, what can you teach to someone who has no respect for your opinion and retorts with the malice of an angry 4 year old, and the situation immediately escalates?

For policing to work, there has to be respect from the offender towards the other or power to give punishment for bad behavior from the responder to the offender. This is why perhaps a more active intervention by the mods is key to this place improving in one way.

The worst thing that a non-mod can do is place someone on ignore. When I place someone on ignore, it is for my personal benefit. When someone places me on ignore, I could not care any less... so what power does that even have?

Self-policing never works. Now, users can guide and groom another but once tempers flare, all bets are out the window and self-policing goes down the crapper. An approach from day one of "here is how we do things here, can we ask that you follow these guidelines to make this place a better one" would.

The only people that can effectively police are the mods, who hold the power to delete a post, lock a thread or ban someone, and users know that.

Also, as new users become members, if they are not taught from day 1 that we do a search before posting, that we don't say "that sucks" without a full explanation of why and what the expectations should be on both sides, I would not expect very many positive changes to happen very fast.

Edit: Wow, 7 pages... this is the longest thread I have seen on TPF in a loooong time. Proof that it is an interesting and important topic to many people here. :)

9. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    YES. If enough members respond in such a way as to make the point that certain behaviors are not generally accepted, the correct course of action will eventually become a standard of acceptable behavior.

As long as the Pact doesn't become a pack metallity. Taking it to the Streets should be left to The Doobies Brothers... even with Michael McDonald....

Seeing this thread develop as it has, my initial agreement in the fundamentals has now turn to a cautionary observation. The stronger one defends their position on a certain subject, the less they are to accept the validity and rationale of a different perspective. Planting ones feet firmly in the ground and daring another to cross that line in the sand is never a productive method of persuassion.

Case in point: As a young boy, I was forced to go to a Southern Baptist church. That's just the way things were. As I aged and began to discern the fundamentals from the business end of religion, the more I began to question the intent of the upper echelon. Today I detest organized religion, but in the same breath, I am grateful for the foundations of 'getting along' I was taught.

I would just dislike if something on a much lesser scale happened to the PACT.

Time will tell if this attempt to convert the current attitude is for good or for ill.

10. Chris of Arabia

Photos OK to edit
    Strictly speaking, it was important enough for 29 people to comment, though the number of views suggests a far higher figure, unless of course we all came in here 38 times each... :lol:

I still think there's some mileage in a review and update of the FAQs, as everyone signs up to abide by them when they register - they should be regarded as the touchstone reference point when any doubt creeps in. What's more they represent what TPF is about rather more than a thread written by someone who has left the forum by the time a new member signs up.

11. SonnarSphere

SonnarSphere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

And what don't you like about that thread? You didn't ask for C&C...so this pact dealy largely doesn't apply.