The Perfect Camera

Yes, the Ricoh GR is pretty perfect at what it was made for.

However, social photography is only one of many fields of photography. In all other fields, stealth isnt really a priority. Well, movie photography needs a camera thats completely silent.

I liked his approach to things in general. I really enjoyed his article on sensor envy. My first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix that had somewhere between 1 and 2 megapixels. I used it for internet product photography because it was so convenient compared to shooting ektachrome and then scanning the slides. Maximum image size was going to be about 6 inches and nobody wants slow loading images on their website, particularly back then when some people were still using telephone modems. The shots I made then look about like the ones I make today with a 16 megapixel camera and high end macro lens. A 16 mp camera simply isn't necessary for web site product images. With 16 or 20 or 30 mp I sometimes think we might just be making larger files, not necessarily better images.

I think Robbins.Photo summed it up very nicely in post #2.

Despite people telling us that this is the best or that is the best or anything else is the best, there is seldom one of anything that fits all people or all usage. Even if there was it would be a conglomeration of compromises that did everything for all people and excelled at nothing.

I've been on vacation for the past 2 days. I've taken a dozen photos with my D810 and about 50 photos with my TG4. My back up LX5 hasn't been touched and I think I took only half a dozen shots with my phone.
I used to think wifi on a camera was a gimmick but now that I have it for the first time, wow. How did I live without it.

Most reactions

Back