No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have any of you ever done geocaching?
http://www.geocaching.com/

Here's the FAQ, in case you don't know what it is or how it's done:
http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

My wife and I just went yesterday, after not having gone for over a year. It is good cardio exercise, which was refreshing, and it mixes well with photography. If you're a landscape/nature type person, there will most likely be a geocache near where you're going to shoot. There are literally thousands of them scattered across the US. Fewer in Europe & elsewhere.

It is a good hobby to make you get off your butt and go shoot nature/landscape type photography. In my area, the caches are usually in the woods, and I like hiking there anyhow.

All you need is a basic handheld GPS. (they start at about $80 or so) There are fora linked from the above link where you can learn more.

Anyone in Northern IL or Southern WI should consider visiting my cache, Smaug's Treasure Hoard:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=17ce0c4c-bf33-41ae-a637-ffec8dab2d2f

Sounds interesting. I've been approached by strangers a few times asking if I was participating in something like that. They mistook my hand held light meter for a GPS device.

When I was a teen I liked all sorts of visual arts, but thought photography was way too expensive. Fishing was cheap, and I got to roam the countryside. As I got older I still enjoyed fishing, but realized I liked the roaming more. I began to say I was a zen-fisherman. I looked for new fishing holes with no intent of ever getting the fishing poles out of my car. When I finally fell for photography, and landscape photography in particular, it matched up perfectly with my desire to roam and explore.

Sounds like fun. For me theater is the perfect matching hobby. The process of acting and performing has really helped my portraiture. Plus you learn a lot about lighting.

A funny detailers. Do you know what we geocachers call non-geocachers? Muggles. ^_^ (like non-magical people from the Harry Potter books) We try not to get spotted by Muggles, and when we do, we often pretend that the GPS is a cell phone and put it up to our ear really quickly. Hehehe.

It sounds kind of like an adult easter egg hunt. (i.e. - lame) But it is really fun.

sounds a bit like a high-tech version of dartmoor letterboxing to me.

not much into high-tech stuff myself though ;)

Man I love Scavenger Hunts, but I don't like the idea of it being a "workout"... lol I'm too lazy for that!

I know people that do geo-caching...they call it letterboxing too. For me, the only reason I got into photography was because of my other hobbies...astronomy, sal****er aquariums, and my wife's dog breeding (dog shows, dog portraits, etc.)

Geo-caching is the perfect mate to photography.
When I have my gps I have my camera also.
geocaching is also a great way to find hidden gems close to home.
I've lived in this area my whole life and until I started geocaching I had no idea what kind of neat things were so close to home.
And I often jump in my car just to tour around and see what I can find.

Geocaching has become a great way to spend time with family too.

Man I love Scavenger Hunts, but I don't like the idea of it being a "workout"... lol I'm too lazy for that!
That's the idea though. If you're working out, but you don't realize it because you're also doing something fun, you've tricked yourself into working out! Brilliant. Maybe you can't trick yourself because I spoiled the secret, but it works for me. While I'm searching for the cache, I also keep my eyes peeled for potential shots. It helps to go during the prime lighting times of day; dawn & dusk.

My wife likes her treadmill. It makes me feel like a hamster. I'd rather go somewhere while exercising. Better yet, I'd rather go somewhere and do something. When I get back home and sit down for a well-earned beer, only then do I realize I got some exercise.

sal****er lol

well, I think travelling in general is a great hobby for photograhpers ... although handluggage restrictions these days really become a plane when you travel with more than two lenses ...

hiking is great too, if you are into landscape photography!

I LOVE Geocaching! It was something I got my son into and then it quickly caught on to everyone else in the family, including me lol. I haven't been in awhile but it's a great activity and goes well with photography. Great fun!:mrgreen:

It edited salt water because of the word the four letters that were removed form. Spell it out and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah...I knew that, but on the other hand, unless your camera is in an underwater housing, saltwater might be a bad word to come out of your mouth...along with a few other choice adjectives when your camera takes an unexpected dip. ;)

Most reactions

Back