The Petrol Pump Attendants

Went on a trip across to Bahrain this weekend. These are from the Dammam Highway.

#28 East Bound

#29 West Bound

I appear to have forgotten to post #33, which was taken on 3 May this year - I never got a name or any other details.

From a little earlier today. I'm rather pleased with this one. I think the dull skies made for considerably better lighting than I usually get and you'd not really know that there is some fill-in flash going on. Maybe I'm biased, but this may be the best of the set so far.

For those who are bored with this now, don't worry, I have an end point in mind....

Better late than never, they were actually taken last August, here are the last two to close the series - 36 is a good figure I think.

This set now represents around 13 months of effort and anyone's guess how much petrol. I am grateful to the guys for being so willing to cooperate and tolerate the idiot with the camera. Over the journey, only one person did not want to be photographed and his wishes were respected. To the rest, thank, it's been fun.

It's been a fun series, Chris. I like the grin and stance of the guy in #36 (but has a camel been eating his shirt?)

They never tyre of airing their views when under pressure, filling people in, or chatting up a gallon the forecourt. They wax lyrical about what else diesel in the shop and still have motor mouth about.

What a great series Chris. Where are you originally from?

The UK, I was born in Stoke-on-Trent, but haven't lived there since I was 17, which was a little over 3 decades ago. Been here in Riyadh for the last decade.

this is a nice idea, I didn't read all your posts but the intro thread was very thoughtful. Question, are you allowed to pump your own gas or is it like New Jersey where its against the law? (random question i know... just curious)

You don't pump your own gas out here, no idea whether it's against the law or not, it's the sort of job that your average Saudi motorist would consider beneath them, but there's plenty of cheap labour out here that will do it for you though.

For the employee, probably, for the wife... :confused:

My mom went there with my father and she loved it. Yes, it was a bit weird for her but she is a curious woman and she got to see quite a few things.

I'm sure it helps that she is from a different generation, though. :D

I, on the other hand, could not get a visa to visit them. :grumpy:

Given the life they must lead, I can well imagine they don't have the happiest of lives, in this instance though, most of what's coming across from them is probably more to do with being asked to pose for the camera. There is a tendency for them to stand absolutely bolt upright as if they were being lined up for a mug shot - all they'd need is a card with a number on it. There was very little chance of explaining to them that I'd prefer them to carry on as if I wasn't there.

Here is a final collected set of all the images, and the main reason why I stopped at 36.

It's available in much larger sizes over at flickr.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back