The Photo Forum Crashed my hard drive

On a Mac (or other sane OS) I'd expect the application to run out of memory and then promptly die (or handle the condition gracefully, but that might be asking too much of Adobe software). I wouldn't expect it to crash my hard drive.

I don't think it crashed the drive. I think it corrupted some of the files that were in use at the time. Some were pictures and I think others were critical system files.

Yeah - I run Linux, and I think if I tried to do that the program would crash, not the whole system. I'm not going to try it though, lol.

I'm not really all that familiar with technical stuff in Windows (it's been a long time since I've used a Windows machine outside of work, and I'm not allowed to do anything to the computers at work - half the time I'm not even allowed to install a damn printer, gotta call IT...), but it almost sounds like the system probably crashed before it could unmount the hard drive, so when he went to start it back up, as far as the system knows - the hard drive isn't even there. That's what I would suspect if what he described happened on my machine, anyway.

Well crap. Guess I spoke to soon. Crashed again. Looks like it is going back to Toshiba. In any case I am glad I restored the data before it was too late.

Still not sure if it was hardware or software related... Guess it doesn't really matter at this point.

Based on recent troubleshooting, I believe the failure was imminent and I believe I taxed it. Perhaps lucky that I could restore the data and that it is still under warranty.

At least you didn't lose anything except the harddrive :)

Well, back up and running. New harddrive and it's running good as new.

Now to see if the new harddrive can load 16K photos. ;)

Oh, for what it's worth...I did load all my photos into Photoshop through Bridge Review mode...seems to be working just fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back