The plague

walter23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
072806IMG_7554.jpg

My city is in the midst of a boom. Hundreds of thousands have arrived over the last decade. Many of them are geologists and people otherwise affiliated with the oil industry, enjoying extremely luxurious lifestyles, and as a consequence, driving up housing and living costs for the rest of us. I'd estimate, though this is just a guess, that we've lost 10,000 or more apartment units in the last 3 or 4 years due to condominium conversion. 5 years ago a 450 square foot 1 bedroom suite would have cost $600 a month - now you'd be lucky to get one for $1000. Many of the marginalized people who've either come here seeking their fortunes, or were barely hanging on at the periphery of society before the great boom, are suffering severely. A few (mainly bikers and ethnically affiliated gangs) are taking advantage of the poverty by selling cocaine, and lots of it. As a result, street crime is on the rise, homeless people have set up a huge camp around the seedier areas of downtown, and you can find artifacts like this far more often than you'd like to. Now, obviously the ultimate responsibility for taking cocaine lies on the shoulders of the individual who does it - but many of these people are already in serious trouble before getting into the terrible drug. And those who exploit their poverty and the terrible lifestyles they lead are the worst sort of criminals I could imagine. Somebody is getting very very rich because of this drug. I sometimes wonder if the policing task is too difficult, or if somebody inside the police force is enjoying some of the benefits of the trade.

I guess it's the "Alberta Advantage", as our provincial premier likes to say.

For some reason I managed to skip the photo and read the description first, and my initial thought was, "My goodness that sounds an awful lot like my city." Following that I scroll up and there she is.

It is quite a shame what Calgary has become over the last decade, growth brings both its advantages and disadvantages.

This is a photo that demonstrates the current situation so well.

The item in the foreground is a crack pipe I do believe.

Most major cities suffer from this along with a host of other drug problems. I just happen to live in the county that had more meth labs than any other county in the states for a few years. Over the last few years they have declined because most of the meth is coming in from Mexico up the pipeline of Calif, Oregon, Washington, and into Canada. It's become very difficult to get the chemicals to produce the stuff.

Because I have to deal with the people who like to smoke this stuff I have a tainted view on it. I will keep my comments to myself because my ugly side will come out. So many lives ruined!

Good photo by the way.

It's a terrible thing. fredcwdoc, I just want to say that you took the words right out of my mouth. Except for the part of living in the county with the most meth labs, though I did used to live near you and I know for a fact we have our share of meth labs. I'm always afraid there is one next door I don't know about and their house is going to blow up and take mine with it, or that my family is exposed to it every time they open a window or a door and that we are unaware and our children are playing outside near these homes. You know?

CrazyAva said:
It's a terrible thing. fredcwdoc, I just want to say that you took the words right out of my mouth. Except for the part of living in the county with the most meth labs, though I did used to live near you and I know for a fact we have our share of meth labs. I'm always afraid there is one next door I don't know about and their house is going to blow up and take mine with it, or that my family is exposed to it every time they open a window or a door and that we are unaware and our children are playing outside near these homes. You know?

Not to mention the fear that they might end up experimenting with it at a party. It doesn't matter how well you raise 'em - the temptation will arise.

Nicely documented Walter. It is a sad but true reality. In one of the cemeteries here in Toronto I have stumbled across a section that people have dedicated to this addiction. I have found needles, pipes and other things littered around a certain area. In one spot they have actually tipped over a large stone and use it as a bench to sit on. But it seems to go unnoticed by the cemetery. They have turned a blind eye to it.
Thanks for sharing. NIcely done.

Most reactions

Back