The Politics of Fashion Photography #9

benjikan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
51oD6QjFmgL2.jpg

“There is No Fair…”

I cannot count all the times I have heard, “…it’s not fair that this person or that person is doing a gig and they aren’t any better than I am…” or better yet, “Yeah, I know how they got the job, they know so and so and are F’ing so and so or are part of the so and so family…”

Both above statements are true and false. Take your choice and add a multiplicity of different permutations and add them to the mix and they will all work. There is NO fair in this business and like so many of the Art’s related metier’s, there are no real ways of succeeding in the Biz.

Of course, if you are part of that very tiny group of privileged individuals who are hangin’ with those individuals making the decision to work with you whether you are a stylist, photographer, model, make-up artist, etc and I am one of those decision makers in the food chain, then perhaps you have an in. I say perhaps because a decision can change on the turn of a dime.

An example and I won’t mention names goes like this…”So and So is a really good hair stylist and I want to work with her…”. But So and So make-up artist doesn’t really feel comfortable working with this person for some Dumb F’ck reason that shouldn’t mean zip to the final product but does. It does because there is a chemistry that I want and without it the final product will not be the same if I don’t use those two incredibly ego hungry yet talented individuals. Well, I have to make a decision based on this type of complication and decide if I want to risk F’ing up my shoot for a minor caprice that may occur if I put them together in to the mix or go with someone else.

I end up not using the hair stylist. The next time I want to work with her, her agent conveniently says she is not available…Now, she lost a potential job working with me for a rather prestigious magazine and decided to make me pay for a while for my sins
icon_smile.gif

Now, was it fair that she got nixed in lieu of the make-up artist and his little caprice? Probably not and it wasn’t fair. But it happens every day and the sooner you realize it, the sooner you will understand that if you let it pass graciously, you may be considered the next time for not making such a big deal out of it.

Benjamin Kanarek Blog | Benjamin Kanarek Blog

And yet more and more photographers line up every day, wanting to be 'pros'...when there isn't enough work now for the ones that already have much more experience and better skills.

And yet more and more photographers line up every day, wanting to be 'pros'...when there isn't enough work now for the ones that already have much more experience and better skills.

Yup, absolutely. The landscape has changed dramatically over the past few years.

Yup, absolutely. The landscape has changed dramatically over the past few years.

And there is a severe shortage of qualified people in so many other fields. It's really so much a joke, everyone wants to be a professional photographer. I don't, though I could be, but I am better off not doing that. Who's gonna do the Nietzsche translation I'm working on? Why are there so few good translators? Why such a shortage of doctors? Of car mechanics? Of x-ray techs?

When the three Nietzsche books I am contracted to do are finished and published, I expect to see a lot of requests for more. I can make a far bigger impact doing this than struggling to be a 'pro' photographer.

Do you know many Nietzsche translators there are out there? Very few. Wanna know why? It's very tough work. At the same time, there is far less competition.

Please, do the world a favor, don't try to be a pro photographer...there are too many now starving to death, trying to make it.

Last edited:
I also find it amusing how many wanna be pro's are out there... and it makes me proud to be one of those that is only taking up photography as a hobby because I have learned from reading these forums how tough it is to be a pro photographer and I don't think I would be able to do it professionally so I'm proud to say I'm one of those that will leave it to a professional

And there is a severe shortage of qualified people in so many other fields. It's really so much a joke, everyone wants to be a professional photographer. I don't, though I could be, but I am better off not doing that. Who's gonna do the Nietzsche translation I'm working on? Why are there so few good translators? Why such a shortage of doctors? Of car mechanics? Of x-ray techs?

When the three Nietzsche books I am contracted to do are finished and published, I expect to see a lot of requests for more. I can make a far bigger impact doing this than struggling to be a 'pro' photographer.

3:1

2:1

1:1 And now it becomes clear.

3:1

2:1

1:1 And now it becomes clear.

???

The Douglas Adams reference or the fact that Neitzshche was insane from the start and has done more to harm the collective psyche of the world than any other writer than I can think of off hand.

OK, that nitwit that wrote Mein Kampf. But still, being under the influence of that beast and coming to a photo forum? Not to make a pun but what's the point?

Good read and I back that up 100%!

In my business I understand how not to step on toes and to ensure everyone is happy (as well as drama free).

I think you made a very good read. Business, as a part of life, is not fair.

The Douglas Adams reference or the fact that Neitzshche was insane from the start and has done more to harm the collective psyche of the world than any other writer than I can think of off hand.

OK, that nitwit that wrote Mein Kampf. But still, being under the influence of that beast and coming to a photo forum? Not to make a pun but what's the point?

The fact of the matter is that a lot of the translations used in the humanities are bad. I am a translator, not a promoter. I think a lot of what he said was crazy. But at least he should be translated properly.

Getting back to the topic, a lot of people have no clue about how competitive certain types of pro photography can be, how annoying clients can be, etc.

It's not all that hard to 'be' a pro. What's hard is succeeding without losing your sanity or health. Finding clients who won't jump to someone else who's cheaper. One local pro whom I knew, with whom I worked briefly as an assistant, recently passed away (in February of this year). He was about my age.

Last edited:
Petraio, on the first paragraph, yes that is a reasonable expectation. Still, I wold caution you to breath some fresh air and go play with a puppy or two before going out in public after having read him. :)

As to the rest, yes most people are clueless. Learning these life lessons is what separates the worthwhile form the simply talented.

One of my favorite sayings is: Where an intelligent person learns from their mistakes, a wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

Listening to someone who is not employing someone else because they are being a PITA might be a wise move here. ;) :lmao::lmao:

So ben, Can I become a pro photogruphur wif yur help??
i can get money to fly :D

(joking :p I have too much going on just now and have yet to improve my skills / tecniques before I EVEN think of charging / offering photography services.)

On the opposite side of people who want a career in it there is some who dont YET want a career in it...
(My dad keeps telling me to go do weddings or go to clubs and sell on the spot keyrings... but he keeps telling me to do it, I keep telling him "no I suck just now."
and he keeps just replying "you are better than you think..." But It is really making me hate photography the more people keep trying to FORCE me into selling myself, I know I am not ready to sell my self or even offer services, yet most people I know are pushing me...)

Most reactions

Back