The Queen, the King and .... the Moon

gpardo64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Look at the top of these buildings, really nice ah?.

This is my first time going to the streets and shooting at night (long exposure).
Lessons learnt:

-Don't forget the adapter to install the camera to your tripod (sh...)
-Take with you mosquito repellent.
-Don't forget your wife is waiting for you in the car!. (time passes too fast when your doing what you like).

The picture was really soft and I had to sharper more than usual (used a kit lens 18-55 with a D5000).

Feedback will be appreciated.

4646143157_031cfdc656_b.jpg

f5.3 is almost fully open for the 18-55. Next time you do it try a smaller aperture and a longer shutter. That should result in a sharper image.

Well, I tried some other smaller apertures (including a f32) and longer exposures without any luck. The sharpest one was the one above. Thanks anyway!

I found that the canon kit 18-55mm is really soft at f22, but at f9-11 for night time landscapes is the sweet spot I like usually.

f32 is way to closed for the kit lenses, and thats beyond its sweet spot. normally between f9 and f11, are the good apertures.

The smaller aperture gives you a larger depth of field the larger the aperture the smaller your DOF.

Here are some examples.(no post processing other then size reduction, borders and watermark)
DSC_1469.JPG

Model: NIKON D5000
DateTime: 10/20/2009 8:45:41 PM
ISOSpeedRatings: ISO 200
FocalLength: 18 mm
FNumber: F10
ExposureTime: 10 s

DSC_2642.JPG

Model: NIKON D5000
DateTime: 3/10/2010 1:35:29 AM
ISOSpeedRatings: ISO 200
FocalLength: 18 mm
FNumber: F8
ExposureTime: 30 s

It's a really nice shot, pity it's not as sharp as it could be, and that there's a bit of noise in the sky (surprising given ISO 200).

It's never a good way to shoot when you're holding someone up and can't take your time. I only like shooting on my own, if my girlfriend is around she gets bored and starts whining :grumpy:

Did you end up using the tripod despite forgetting the adapter plate?

It's a really nice shot, pity it's not as sharp as it could be, and that there's a bit of noise in the sky (surprising given ISO 200).

It's never a good way to shoot when you're holding someone up and can't take your time. I only like shooting on my own, if my girlfriend is around she gets bored and starts whining :grumpy:

Did you end up using the tripod despite forgetting the adapter plate?

The noise showed up because I sharpened a bit. The original photo doesn't have that grain but is soft.

Finally I couldn't use the tripod, I had to use my camera bag to support the camera. The D5000 has a LCD viewer which you can move and detach from the camera....it became really handy to compose and frame the pic on the bag.

Regarding the company while shooting, as I mentioned this was our first time shooting in the street at night, there were no complains this time, the only one was about the mosquitos which were having a barbecue with us!

Each shot has its own story! which is really good and make this hobby really interesting. Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back