JasonLambert

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
4688340826_138eb5aecf_b.jpg

Ok, so in this image the lines "A" and "B" are correct but "C" and "D" are not. Was this the correct way to shoot? The rounded earth in the foreground was playing tricks with my eyes and so was the hill in the background. I chose the front and back lips of the bridge as my horizon line but just wasn't sure if that was correct.

The decking and the roof look level, you could have tilted the camera to accommodate the lean of the walls, but then everything else would seem off.

The bridge looks like it’s leaning to me too.

In these situations I end up doing one of the following:

1) Align for the horizon, and allow the object to lean, since it does in reality.
2) Align for the object (if it was too distracting and makes the image look crooked).
3) If I align for one, and that makes the other too distracting, I then try and split the difference. I correct with an emphasis to correct the one that was most distracting.

Alternatively, I might look for a new position or angle to shoot from to minimize the competition between the object and the horizon (if another position is an option).

To me it just looked like the bridge was leaning. Your eyes are right, the bridge is off. Btw #4 on the other post was a really nice shot.

4688340826_138eb5aecf_b.jpg

Ok, so in this image the lines "A" and "B" are correct but "C" and "D" are not. Was this the correct way to shoot? The rounded earth in the foreground was playing tricks with my eyes and so was the hill in the background. I chose the front and back lips of the bridge as my horizon line but just wasn't sure if that was correct.

What seems to be the problem? ;)
4687708793_374a8c4d19_b.jpg

The question we have to ponder is if adjusting the photo to straighten the bridge is the correct solution or would it be an interesting aspect of the photo if the bridge is kept leaning? Lets ponder.

vtf, I like the way it is... Especially in some of the others I took of it. It would kind of suck if the Leaning Tower of Pisa was just the Tower of Pisa of if the St. Lewis Arch was the St. Lewis line. ::GRIN::

Keith, what did you do to fix it?
It isn't fixed, because now the top of the structure is off.

I just did it for fun.

I used the crop tool in Photoshop CS5, put a check mark in the "Perspective" box. and made the sides vertical by dragging the top corners of the crop box.

If you look closely at the details on the sides you can see the photo has been cropped slightly.

Most reactions

Back