The Red Sea

Haya.H

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A couple from my trip.

This was handheld four second exposure, at ISO 400 (shoulda bumped that up?), f18, 18mm. Anything you would have done differently?

$Cityscape.jpg

Now this right here... What do those two marks look like in the sky? There not showing up in my other pictures just the sunset ones. Is there anyway to remove them in PP?
f18, ISO 800, 1/125th sec.
$Sunset-redsea.jpg

C&C Away. :)

in your second image, looks like you have either dust on your lens OR on your sensor, dust shows up much easier on a blue sky such as that, its harder to see in images like your first one,, to remove it you will either need to clean your lens or your sensor, I dont know what kind of camera you have but if its a 35mm dslr there are many products available online that can assist you in sensor cleaning, as far as removal from the image itself, again that depends on your Post processing software, do you have Photoshop ? if so, then its easily removed with the clone tool, spot removal tool,, any number of ways,, good luck

It's dust on the sensor. Dust on the front element of a lens doesn't even show up in photos. Dust on the rear element of a lens can show up in particular circumstances, but not usually the way it looks in the photo above. Remove the lens and have a look at its rear glass, just to be sure, and clean if necessary.

Look into sensor cleaning how-to's. It's not terribly difficult, if you have the right tools for the job. Beats cloning and healing every shot in post.

Thank you both, i'm about to have a look at it right now. Any C&C on the photos?

Oh and if anyone knows any good tutorials on cloning and such. I've looked at a few but couldn't find a good one. Thank you!

Thank you both, i'm about to have a look at it right now. Any C&C on the photos?
I generally like the first one, but the camera shake knocks it down a lot. You need a tripod for a 4 second shot, or some other way to steady the camera rock-solid. It's also tilting to the left, which is a bit distracting, and the brightest element (draws the eye), the tower, is blown out and has a lot of glare, plus it's dead-center in the composition, which isn't really ideal, from my POV. The sky would be more interesting with a bit of light still in it, like at dusk maybe.

The second shot has a great sky, uglied up pretty badly by all the sensor dust. That can be dealt with in Photoshop with the healing brush or clone tool, if you have it. The horizon is tilted and curved like a smile as well. That too can be fixed in post processing using the ruler/level and the Filter>Lens Correction tools. The foreground element (dock) needs to be lit though to really pull off this shot though, IMHO. On a tripod, a second shot exposed properly for the dock, then combined in post, would have worked well. If you shot it in RAW, it can probably be worked out pretty well, if you have the post-processing skills. Since you're asking for tutorials on cloning though, that might not be an option for you yet.

On cloning, I doubt if I could explain it any better than the literally thousands of good explanations, including videos, on the net. If none of them can do it for you, I doubt I can either, and it's a pretty simple thing to do, tbh.

Keep at it!

Most reactions

Back