The renaissance in film photography goes on

Discussion in 'Articles of Interest' started by Fred von den Berg, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well, for those who want a serviceable, low-cost, pretty well-proven-over-time 35mm SLR, the Nikon FM-10 is still being made; I've read hundreds of times that the FM-10 is made by Cosina (you know...the company that made the Zeiss uber-pricey lenses for years! And who makes the Voigtlander manual focus, rangefinder, 35mm FILM cameras and the gorgeous lenses!) for Nikon. And for those with bigger bank accounts and a desire for what has often been,arguably, called the world's finest 35mm SLR ever, the Nikon F6 is still availble new. So...we have a student-budget and a rich-old-dude budget pair of 35mm Nikon SLR's out there, available. Reportedly, sales are very slow. Plus Leica and Voigtlander rangefinders, all sold new.

At ProPhoto Supply I recently saw traded in a trio of "passed away Dad" camera and lens outfits, which had been in the hands of a now late-50-something man for years,mostly unused,except for the Nikon F5, which he had been shooting for some years now. He traded in (well-put up for consignment sale) a super-nice Leica M3 single-stroke, a 50 Summar, a 90mm Elmar, a Nikon F5 and a lens, and a Mamiya RZ (RZ?? the motorized one) and two lenses, and bought himself a Nikon D5600, the 18-140 AF-S VR-G, and an SB-xxx flash, a bag, and the new 70-300 AF-P VR tele-zoom. He was certain he'd actually USE the new digital SLR kit much,much more than the only camera he'd been using out of the three filmies, which was the F5. He was VERY excited to be buying his first d-slr. I stood right by him and talked with him a bit, as Jimmy examined the older gear and put batteries in to check out the F5 and the Mamiya as the trade-in was done over about 20 minutes or so. I told him what a GREAT time this is, to have the capabilities of the new-era Nikons with their ISO-invariant sensors and the 24-million pixels on APS-C,and the small bodies, and the Lithium-Ion battery that lasts an entire weekend and well over 1,000 frames and chimping.

So...anyway...there are plenty of NICE, lightly-used, great-quality film cameras coming into the market: last weekend, a Leica M3 and two good lenses hit the used market; a nice Mamiya 120 rollfilm SLR hit the market; and a Nikon F5 35mm slr hit the used market. I think the M3 LEICA is one of the finest 35mm rangefinders ever made, with solid lenses available. The Cosina 35mm rangefinders, sold under the Voigtlander Bessa labels, are also nice; I owned one, it was basically a Nikon FM-10 chassis and shutter fitted with a capping shutter add-on, but still, a useful,solid shooter, mechanically timed shutter, needed no batteries to shoot. Because of the supply of older film cameras, some of them absolutely fantastic, AND supported by solid, deep systems (Leica M-mount accessories, Nikon F-mount system, m42 thread stuff from 40+ brands), I really cannot see this kickstarter coming to actual production. There's just wayyyyy too much good stuff out there, "used but hardly-shot"!

cgw sums it up succinctly: "Personally, I have multiple examples of favorite 35mm and MF cameras that should hold me. That repair services aren't burgeoning is probably the surest index of that film photography is holding its ground in 2018 but not expanding."

2. Fred von den Berg

Fred von den Berg No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Indeed. I could live, and often have, without a car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The lack of an auto coupled aperture is the MAJOR flaw in the design.
    Using the lens in manual mode would be like going back to the preset lenses of the 1960s.
    I have not seen stop down metering since the Pentax Spotmatic and Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL, back in the early 70s.

I think, the interchangeable back is a pet feature of one of the team members, and they forced it through to be a "feature."
    I would have saved the complexity, design effort and cost and put it into the auto coupled aperture, which IMHO is much more useful and practical.

Given the camera as designed, I would rather buy a used Nikon, Canon, Minolta or Olympus, send it in for CLA, and I would still come out way cheaper. And I would have the auto coupled aperture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. vin88

vin88 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I just verified " there is still black and white film containing silver" from an army veteran with black stains under the skin of his fore arms. "thanks for serving", we want silver in good back and white pix..