The right beginner telephoto lens for my D3100

I sold my Tamron 150-600 for $700 on ebay.

they took $70 in fees and after PP fees I cleared $600.

it's a scam site.

I am getting the Tamron.

Ebay is a bit of a monopoly sadly, just like google are... Can't compete with someone that got in the game early and came out on top. Paypal as well! They are not far from controlling us :/

Glad to announce the lens arrived and I am having fun already.
I need a protector lens. Any advice? Cheapie vs expensive?
I am a definite noob, but I will get there. Here is one of the photos I have taken...

robinhood_zpspfupezcy.png
[/URL]

You don't really need a "protector" filter. I never used them, lenses are tough. They will degrade the image quality a bit.

Watch video around 7:44.

I am a definite noob, but I will get there. Here is one of the photos I have taken...

[/URL]

Congrats! The photo is a bit dark. Maybe bump up the exposure or lift the shadows? Is this straight out of the camera?

Ok, maybe I will just be extra careful and make full use of the protective cap! Be nice if it hung off...

Thanks SquarePeg. I didn't touch it... Only just learning that some photos must be edited and I will have to learn how to use the other functions besides auto :)

Is the Tamron lens a good way to go for a Macro lens? The kit lens on this does horrible Macro shots!

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro for Nikon. I don't think I can get dad to spend a lot on this lens, but he would want a respectable lens.

The 70-300 is not a macro lens.

[/URL]
Underexposed.

If you would like me to offer and post an edit of this, I would be happy to help, but only with your permission.

Underexposed.

If you would like me to offer and post an edit of this, I would be happy to help, but only with your permission.

Go for it :)

Pulled out the shadows a bit and lightened then entire image. Just a tad of de-haze.
Just trying to see that face a little better.
robinhood_zpspfupezcy.jpg

Colors might be a bit saturated, but it's a start...

Hi all,

The Nikon D3100 is actually dad's, but he is letting me borrow it to see if photography is my thing before I go all out myself. I started by looking for a telephoto lens. Naturally I bought too impulsively and bought the Nikon Camera Lens AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G. I had read it was a good entry level telephoto lens for bird photography. I failed to understand a basic thing about this camera. That being... It does not have motor and relies on the lens having the motor. Ok great, so I am returning the above mentioned lens and am pretty certain the one I should get is the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR. I do not want to make a 2nd mistake, so I thought I would look to some people who know more than me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nothing wrong with the 55-300mm on your camera. I used to have a 55-200 kit tele that was a heck of a lot sharper than its' price would suggest. They can be pickedup used for around $100.00

Most reactions

New Topics

Back