the rule of thirds?

You never know what junk you're getting fed on the web.

Well, in the area of composition, I do know, and have also taught it to students. I recommend the site.

skieur

Well, in the area of composition, I do know, and have also taught it to students. I recommend the site.

skieur

Anybody can say anything on the web, and if you want to learn little bits and pieces and sort through the BS, fine. I prefer books and recommend them. They're just, well, ... substantive with a firm base in reality, considerable etc.

I agree with Jeremy completely.

Once you learn the rule of thirds, don't constrain yourself to it. While it is a good thing, if you think a shot would look better a different way, don't be afraid to try it out. Same goes with flat horizons. Leaning the angles helps makes things bigger than they actually are at times.

Anybody can say anything on the web, and if you want to learn little bits and pieces and sort through the BS, fine. I prefer books and recommend them. They're just, well, ... substantive with a firm base in reality, considerable etc.

With 1,000 books in my library at home in several languages I am certainly not going to condemn their use, :lol: however, being practical and realistic, the web is better than total ignorance, which shows up everywhere on occasion.

skieur

I agree with Jeremy completely.

I don't. He is talking apples and oranges. Beginners need to apply the rules of composition and learn to see photographically first, before they start experimenting. That does not happen instantly. Even when you start experimenting you need to be able to SEE whether it works or not, and newbies are not sufficiently experienced to make that decision.

skieur

Rules are made to be broken. However, you can't break a rule until you know what it is.

That is the most ridiculous repeated cliché that I have ever heard and it does not apply. :thumbdown: The bottom line is that any technique: either technical or compositional must contribute to the overall effectiveness and impact of the photo.

I would like to see any photo where breaking all the rules of compositions has created a effective photo with impact. It has NOT happened yet.

skieur

thanks for all the help guys, i went out and tried a few shots like this and i think they came out really good! ill post some up later in another thread for c&c.

Strange... the TS says they were "searching" for the rule of thrids and they still didn't understand... but when I google the "rule of thrids" all I end up with is endless exact descriptions of what it its.

Seriously, learn to search better.

well i figured that this( thephotoforum.com) was probably the best place to find it online so i only looked here. i didn't use google or anything.

do a search on here for yourself and tell me if you find anything other than what i did. if you did then im just not doing something right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back