The Rule of Turds

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Somewhere between peer review and self-reliance, chances are you will encounter one or more photo-trolls. Hopefully, it won't be an infestation, or you won't let 'it' get to you, but these self-humping little narcisists will certainly nip at your work and psyche along the way. One trick to living with these mentally deficit ****ups is, I believe to be able to identify them.

I'm all for peer review, but these clowns just don't post. I don't mind so much talking about my work with other artists, but there's some kind of weird virtually-masturbatory thing trolls put themselves through to eek the full ilk from their yellow seed. I refuse to give them the slightest creedence.

They may have a link to a web site, but that don't count. If some asshole tears you down, insist they post their pictures and place their guts online right along with you so we can all see if they're in it for the good of the art. Chances are they should just be blown off as worthless fodder.

Now the funny thing is that trolling, being a sport from 8 to 80, can be done on many levels, possibly depending on how hard and often they were beat as children or nagged as worthless failed adults. Sometimes it's very subtle and you can be used by them and buy into their shabby little game of discouraging photographers. Even if they say nice things to you, chances are you will become pawns in this stupid little game they play, and you will turn on someone who needs your encouragement rather than your manipulated wrath. I believe the key is, and will remain, trolls do not have the intestinal fortitude to be players and take the step 'real' photographers take by posting, and showing they have a stake in the game.

Just my opinion.

I've never read such an intense and emotionally-provoking post by you, sir!

I hope I'm not a troll. If I put my work up beside yours... well... I don't wanna think of that.

I hope you're not upset or anything. You're too cool to be upset. You're like the Dude from The Big Lebowski (compliment). :)

I've never read such an intense and emotionally-provoking post by you, sir!

I hope I'm not a troll. If I put my work up beside yours... well... I don't wanna think of that.

I hope you're not upset or anything. You're too cool to be upset. You're like the Dude from The Big Lebowski (compliment). :)

I'll be blunt; Do you post your photos?

I'll be blunt; Do you post your photos?

I have before. I haven't in about a month, but I haven't been shooting lately. I feel like no matter what I do, my work sucks.

But this isn't about me. I just don't like people being upset and angry. Even over the internet it makes me nervous :)

But this isn't about me. ...

Personally, I agree with your assessment in full.

Trolls and fake know-it-alls, I believe, are a detriment to artistic development. There's no purpose they serve other than attempting to get others to feel as miserable about their art and photography as trolls do about the trolls' meaninglessness. Sure, they can re-type information out of books and gather links without assessing quality and spew out specs, but if there is no feel for the art and creativity, we're better off without them and learning to please ourselves, because there will be no pleasing them.

Don't flatter yourself and confuse this with anger. I believe this is something that must be said- Period.

Don't flatter yourself and confuse this with anger. I believe this is something that must be said- Period.

I agree. I'm strongly affected by other's opinions, and some times when someone says something rude to me, it cuts through me like (insert cliche here). I do find that trolls are not only an internet thing. I work at a resort, and there was a lady there I would describe as a troll. Whenever her husband or I would say something to her, it was always, "Yeah, but..." Or something negative and pessimistic.

Your advice is good advice. I've just never seen you post something so serious. Usually you post these amazing shots and are all smiles. :) I don't understand how confusing this with anger would flatter me, but I'm slow sometimes (I'll figure it out in a month or two).

Agreed, with respect to the above, can we make them wear a white 'T' on their avatar?

Or a photo of one of the dolls...

218307846_e45b764d0e.jpg

Let's not forget the people ( most often kids ) that feel that if they can reach 1000 posts in a month or two, they automatically become experts.

I think they fit into the other two turds of the rule of turds- Drones and misfits.

I myself don't like to comment on technical aspects of a pic much for a few reasons...

I'm only learning and as such what I consider isn't really right other people may not agree with (i've had that happen commenting in the past lol) also people may have intentionally wanted something a certain way to add feel to a pic etc. If it's something I think I can help with I'll say something but only if I sorta feel (hope) that I may be correct in my opinion lol, or it's something I've had experience with.

There are a few people here that I really feel it a privledge getting replies from cause I really admire their work on here , I really appreciate all replies though and I thank all those that do take the time to comment on my pics :)

I use this forum as an additional learning tool along with my books and practice. I read almost all of the critique that people post so that I can learn. I have posted a few pictures, but I keep them to a minimum because I know that they are not that great by any means. It's one thing to know (or at least have an opinion on) what is good and bad about a photo, it's another to create it. I do not usually comment on a photo unless I recognize something that could really be corrected (maybe something I've learned to correct myself), or if I really like a photo and I just can't help myself, or if no one else is commenting on it. I guess my snapshot post-to-comment ratio is somewhere around 50/50 maybe. I would post a few more pics that I could use help with, but to be honest, there are plenty of threads where people are just getting completely upset with others who are trying to learn and posting pictures that clearly suck to them.

Abraxas, I definitely agree with what you are saying though. There are plenty of people on here that critique and critique as if they are experts, but yet they do not try to put their money where their mouth is, so to speak.

Trolls don't bug me. I'm here some to offer some form of help or reply if I can, but mostly I am here for selfish reasons... to learn.

The rest I could not care less about. :lmao:

I think they fit into the other two turds of the rule of turds- Drones and misfits.

Don't get me started on the drones....with their copy paste "It looks really noisy." replies. They have me looking at my own work with disgust. It got to the point I was growing so frustrated with the whole thing that I started making stupid, stupid mistakes.

*Edit*

That is what I like about the older members who shoot/shot film, they don't tell me about it because they know better than that. When Mav posted these it dawned on me that I had been letting letting myself forget why I post photos to beginwith.

Most reactions

Back