The Rule of Turds

If you'd like me to post more I would, but they're horrible. As a matter of fact, I haven't shot my camera in a month cause I'm so disgusted at my own abilities. I have a feeling after being on here and learning some more in the last month or so, that I will be better when I pick my camera back up (I'm starting to get the desire to).

Also I wholeheartedly admit I have self-esteem issues, and part of my unwillingness to post comes from not being able to handle criticism without taking it as an insult to my personal character. But I also feel it necessary to say that whenever I do critique someone else's photos, I let them know that I could not do the photo any better myself. Hindsight vision is 20/20 and all that stuff, you know.

Sorry if I have upset or offended anyone on this website.

Yes I would like you to post more of your work!
You can only go so far on your own before you get stagnet and it seems that you have reached such a point. We can all see some of our own mistakes, how to correct them and how to see the other problems though needs the views of others and the views of the more experienced to help us with. So post your stuff and listen to others.
As for personal attacks - just ignor the chatty side and focus on the information people are telling you - its not an attack, its a suggestion, a hint.

Its just that you seem to have taken this keen interest to photography, hence you posting a lot.. but don't have images of your own so your word doesn't carry as much weight. As the saying goes, if your going to walk the walk, you need to talk the talk.

So I apoligize if I've said anything to offend you... I believe you are just a normal guy out there. I *would* love to see your work, even if you think it's "horrible". Only by putting it out there can you get better.

I was looking at this all wrong, I guess. I never thought it would be a problem to give feedback and not post my own images. All I ever heard were complaints that people post their own photos and never reciprocate. I guess there are all walks of life, givers and takers...

I posted two photos, and that's all you guys get for now. :) I kind of hope that my posts don't carry much weight, though, cause I'd feel horrible if someone altered an image because of something I said. I just try to give positive, general information that will help them out next time. This "brutally honest" critique some give is misplaced on most amateurs, IMO. I always thought that harsh criticism is what the professional gallery was for.

Senor Hound.....I just looked over the last three of your photo threads and I can not find a harsh word from those who offered advice. Seems to me, you need to post more photos which in turn will generate additional comments for your photographic advancement.

Hang in there, it gets better......

i hope im one of the trolls...i have posted more then 10 photos here in the last year

ooooh is there an application process to be titled trolls?

Abraxas,

I love you.

Sincerely,

Me.

I don't get why people would be afraid to post their small-sized, low res images on this website.

As stated before, what can one possibly do with such small images?

If you're so paranoid about your work getting stolen, why not just slap a big, ugly copyright over the image like so many here do?

I was looking at this all wrong, I guess. I never thought it would be a problem to give feedback and not post my own images. All I ever heard were complaints that people post their own photos and never reciprocate. I guess there are all walks of life, givers and takers...

I posted two photos, and that's all you guys get for now. :) I kind of hope that my posts don't carry much weight, though, cause I'd feel horrible if someone altered an image because of something I said. I just try to give positive, general information that will help them out next time. This "brutally honest" critique some give is misplaced on most amateurs, IMO. I always thought that harsh criticism is what the professional gallery was for.

Dear Mr Hound,
I will address your concerns (and mine) directly to yourself:
Yes - there are probably people who have 'altered' their images because of what you have "said" written... Probably people who don't know that you are an inexperienced photographer and critiquist, who has gleaned his "skills" from the posts of others (in a relatively short time).
I recall (as do others) that a few weeks ago you sought information about the merits of a specific camera - and lenses - and a few days later were seen to be dispensing information to others about this same camera and lenses in an authoratative and expertly manner - indeed, from your post, it appeared that you had a working experience of said camera and lenses and from the responses to your post, some were led to believe this.
Now, I believe this to be a falsehood. Rather like the podiatrist on tonight's TV news who has apparently been passing himself as a surgeon in Australia.
Sir, you are presenting yourself as something you are not.
You are not qualified to prefer advices on equipment of which you have no experience. Neither are you qualified to offer constructive advices on the quality or otherwise of images, nor the potential "fixes" available in PS, PSES, CS2,3 - since you don't own/have never used these PP programs.
Some have said that you are a "nice boy" - and I would certainly agree that your pragmatic skills contain a liberal dosage of platitudes. However, it is not nice to pretend to be something/someone you are not.
Almost finally, no - I think you are mistaken that the professional gallery is intended to offer a venue for "harsh criticism": It is CLEARLY STATED
The Professional Gallery
This is a Gallery for our working photographers! Show off your latest wedding, portraiture, or any work you've done for your clients.
Finally: some positive advice to you, Sir.
The calibre of your camera has little to do with the subject of your images. The compostion and balance, lines, impact, so-called rules and their application (or not) etc... are the domain of the photographer.
The way to improve YOUR photography, Mr Hound, is to take photographs. Then examine you own images and introspect what YOU can do to improve your OWN photography. Then come back when you are no longer "embarrassed" by your efforts and see what more you can learn.
Jedo

You are not qualified to prefer advices on equipment of which you have no experience.

I think it is good to give an opinion on what you own so long as you let everyone know that this opinion is based on a month or so usage. Opinion (to me) is valuable regardless of how long you have had a piece of equipment.

There are a lot of people on this forum that do not want you to post photos that are just so-so. They seem to get pissed of saying that this is a professional forum, and this crap shouldn't be posted. Then you have people that get pissed off because you don't post. I've got some pictures of flowers that I would post on here because I am trying to learn to do macros properly and use manual focus. The subject itself is nothing special, the photo won't blow anyone away, but I still want to learn if what I am doing is good... but because of all the people complaining about too many flowers and so-so posting on here, I chose not to post those.

Now I do not comment on photos or post them anymore. There seems to be just too many people here getting pissed off at everything... hence the reason for the whining forum I guess.

Unless its a mod directly telling you not to post material I would not care one bit about what people think of the quality of your photos. We are hear to LEARN= that is even written in the rules of the site.
If you feel pressured not to post then that is wrong - I say post your shot and if someone has a problem with you not being as "good" as them then ignor them for that is being petty and nothing else.

I have said this over and over now and I really hate it that there are new people here who are afraid to post their photos for comments and advice. If you are bullied by another report it - it not being childish or telling tales in any shape or form.
Casper post those flower shots please - Senor post (heck take and post) those shots you have. Hiding will solve nothing and only mean that you are not confidant in your works - be confidant!
smallg.jpg

there a shot of mine - I knew it was not great when I looked at it - I knew I had done wrong and yet I had no problems showing it when I took it and getting peoples responces because from them I leant more.
I still have a soft spot for the shots I took - because I took them and because I was there no one else was

did someone say troll?

From now on, you can call me Alpha, Troll Extraordinaire.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back