•The Show Us Your Vintage Camera Thread•

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by star camera company, Nov 11, 2019.

1. star camera company

star camera company TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    We all enjoy seeing Vintage Gear, after all, that’s why we’re here! So show off your Cameras, your lenses and all, let’s see what makes your Shelf Stand Tall!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pixmedic

pixmedic I am the Lord thy Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    20191007_115639~2.jpg FB_IMG_1481750835389.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    859301BB-97C8-4AE4-9127-2F41D3D38F26.jpeg I lent this 1A to Mike Eckman for a Review. He gave me an all around thumbs up on the camera. He hasn’t gotten the write up online yet....keep your @@s open. This is the export close focus variant....it focus to 18” (Or as far from your elbow to fingers)

• Like Like x 4
  5. IanG

IanG No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think you need to define what's vintage, Mamiya 645 cameras don't really fall into that category, maybe pre WWII, or perhaps 60+ years old. After all cameras from the 1960's have reached a mature quality in terms of build and functionality.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  6. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    Let’s say, the “Vintagier” the better, but really I feel the 70’s era is pretty well the ‘line’. If YOU feel it’s Vintage though...it’s Vintage. ;-).

• Like Like x 2
  7. NGH

NGH TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Like Like x 3
  8. IanG

IanG No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Those Voigtlander cameras, the Contaflex and similar West German cameras show how West Germany lost position as the major camera country for manufacture.

I don't mean they were bad cameras in terms of performance rather that they'd taken the wrong direction with 35mm cameras and relying on leaf shutters and the restrictions the shutters imposed.

In East Germany you'd had the first full professional system cameras the Praktina, also the lower spec and older Exacta system, as well as the Contax/Pentacon SLR all with focal plane shutters, all with a wider range of interchangeable lenses and from many manufacturers.

Then you look at the early Japanese SLR cameras coming into Europe and particularly the US at the end of the 1950's they mirrored the East German approach but with slightly better engineering and more importantly better lubricants.

I have some interesting Focal Press camera books 1959 to early 1960's these list the higher end 35mm, MF a, and Sub miniature cameras available that year, essentially short extracts from the famous Focal Press Camera Guides. What's interesting is the cameras listed that you never see now, poor sales, even poorer reliability. They also shows the trend towards Jpanese cameras.

Your Bessamatic is great I hope you use it. I still use early 1960's Pentax cameras as well as cameras and lenses from before WWI, and then through to today.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  9. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    62CB9CE2-2595-4E56-BFF5-1FD2CA469A05.jpeg Truly a Legend that didn’t start out that way, the Great Wall Plastics Diana Camera. Do vintage cameras appreciate in value? Oddly, dollar for dollar, this one probably leads the pack! Currently loaded with Ektachrome.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NGH

NGH TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes it is interesting how brands that once dominated have fallen by the wayside, I guess it happens in all industries I am reminded of Nokia in the mobile phone industry.

I haven't used the Bessamatic for a little while actually, I have had too many other toys to play with. That Zoomar lens is a beast and it is interesting how they got that right as zoom lenses changed very little since then.

11. star camera company

Photos OK to edit
    266DEFD8-1051-43D8-BE84-900D0F44EF9D.jpeg A very attractive, very simple to operate TDC Colorist, made in Germany in 1954 and marketed by Bell and Howell. Possibly the most “normal” stereo camera, these usually work well and are a good choice for someone wanting to try stereo.

• Like Like x 4
  12. pixmedic

pixmedic I am the Lord thy Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

yea, anything over 20-30 years old is vintage. the Mamiya certainly meets that criteria.
    you might be thinking Antique.

80's is vintage.

• Like Like x 1