The Sigma sd14

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just a read about the new Sigma SD14 the three layered light sensor. I was amazed but I know that advertisments are designed to make it look better than others so that you will buy them, but it did look impressive... I was wondering what you guys thought about it... Any experience with them?

You might try this question in the Equipment Section, people there tend to know more about that sort of thing.

BoblyBill said:
SO... nobody has heard of this camera?

Yes, it is'nt out yet, but i have seen some impressive pre-production photos.
I have a Sigma SD10 which like the SD14 also has 3 layer Foveon X3 sensor...The Foveon sensor is far sharper than any Bayer sensor...In fact the SD9, SD10 and SD14 can all capture detail right down to a single pixel!;)

I don't get it. If this sensor provides "superior" image quality, why does only one manufacturer use it, and why of all manufactuers is it Sigma?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/

This explains it fairly straight-forwardly, seems to be the next big thing. And I doubt dpreview is very biased. They also have a bunch of X3 sensor hands-ons and etc.

I have no idea why Sigma of all manufacturers has access to this technology, but not any of the bigger companies. Keep in mind that this sensor appears to be very expensive.

Sw1tchFX said:
I don't get it. If this sensor provides "superior" image quality, why does only one manufacturer use it, and why of all manufactuers is it Sigma?

There are several rumours:

1) BothNikon and Canon were approached by Foveon Inc but being brash Americans they came across as arrogant and overbearing which managed to offend their Japanese sensibilities. The Japanese dont like to lose face so they rejected Foveons approaches out of hand.
Foveon learned important lessons from this and decided to approach Sigma more carefully.
2) Nikon and Canons existing sensors though not as good a Foveon sensors were a whole lot cheaper and offered reasonable enough image quality to fool most people. Foveon sensors were simply too expensive and would'nt have been profitable.
3) Before the recent tie up with Dongbu (?) electronics,Foveon sensors were made by National Semiconductor, an American company in direct competition with the Japanese semiconductor industry...Japanese companies prefer to buy from other japanese companies.

bla said:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/

This explains it fairly straight-forwardly, seems to be the next big thing. And I doubt dpreview is very biased. They also have a bunch of X3 sensor hands-ons and etc.

Its not biased but it is badly conducted and therefore does not reflect real world results obtained by SD10 owners...Firstly, Foveon sensor based cameras need to be tested with full colour res charts not the usual B&W charts used for Bayer sensor based cameras and secondly noone with a Foveon camera would dream of using more than 3-5 seconds exposure for nightshots as its simply not necessary...The DPreveiw test was at 30 seconds exposure hence the poor results...This has been pointed out to Phil Askey many times but no action has ever been taken to redress it...So you should'nt take it face value.

Most reactions

Back